Spare Parts Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I was cleaning up after building my first kart project and decided I had enough parts to start another one !

To keep it simple, I plan to use up most of the 110cc ATV parts from two junked ATVs.

The engine will be a GX160 (5.5 HP stock) from a pressure washer that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It is a runner, and has the coolest wheels I ever saw on a pressure washer plus some nice chrome tubes that have bends like a brush guard.

Here is a rough draft of what I am trying to do.

Going for light weight, and ~55/45 weight distribution with driver for good off-road handling. It has a 35" track width, and I want to keep the wheelbase short, so I am planning to have my knees over the front shocks and my feet forward of the front wheels.

I think this one may have a full cage because I will have to make the front heavy duty to protect the drivers feet and legs, so I might as well keep on with that and do a full cage to tie everything together and be safe in case this ends up being fast.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
That’s a good use for old parts. I’d see if the seat you have will fit inside that wheelbarrow. It’d be a cool body (you’d have to cut the flat side out).

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
LOL, that's my good wheelbarrow, so I'm not planning to cut it up.

I did take another swing at my home made pipe bender that I started in June.. here it is again.

Awwww rats! The first test bend was a kink. I have to add some material to the sides of the bending die to make it cradle the pipe...

Live update... adding 5/16 and 1/4 rod to the sides

I tested a piece of very thin conduit first (as a worse case) and it was OK for a while, but started to lift in the center (thats how I can tell it is close to kinking).

Next I decided to use a piece of thicker wall pipe for the bottom rail on my kart build. It needs a bend at each end so the outer measurement is 36". Since I am working with 48" length, it will be tough putting the bends right near the end of the pipe, but here goes...

The two marks are 5-1/2" and 6" from the end. I bent about 45 degrees and took it out to check, then put it back in to bring that short side on around.... it has some flats in it, but seems to be working.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Moved the engine from the power washer to the rear clip today, also cleaned up the 1-1/2" tubing from the treadmill to make a roll bar. Measuring for a conventional layout with a longer wheelbase.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Thanks, guys... Its looking like it will be somewhere between 60 and 70". Thats pretty long for 36" width, but I will be keeping the CG low as possible and make it have a cross kart kind of vibe with an angular cage.

I had a few second thoughts about DIY bender, after a couple of trips to the hardware store and the time investment. You get several different die sizes with a HF bender for about $125, but I have about half that in this one but it is made for just 3/4 pipe today.

The bender die is made from a 1-1/2" pipe coupler to fit on the jack piston and 1-1/2" x 1/8 bar stock that was bent in a 6-1/2" diameter half moon shape. I had to add the 5/16 and 1/4 rails to fit the pipe.

The frame is a piece of I beam from the scrap yard - same with the pieces of angle iron.

I need to add some structure to the front to resist the outward and upward pressure on those two bolts that hold the angle iron shoes. Will put up a picture when I get that done.

ok, here is the update to the bender. I added some 1-1/2" 3/16 flat stock and that fixed the issue I was seeing.

I will be trying to go >90 degrees for the bends in this piece I am working on, but wanted to get both sides to 90 first...

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Today I spent a few minutes trying to balance tubing long enough to get these shots.

I will be using a tall seat, and that will set the angle for the roll bar hoop, also need to put more bends in my lower frame bar.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
FA, good point !

Actually, the side bars are about shoulder height and width because I like to lean into turns, and want to have some wiggle room so I dont continually bump into the bars when riding.

Hard to measure everything without having something tacked into place. I'm getting some of them magnets next time I get to BHM.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Coat of paint on the tubing bender. I will try making a bending die out of the front rim the blew out on my yard kart. The larger radius may work better for working with tubing.

I went by the recycler today and will be buying up more of those 4' sections of tubing for kart related projects. Also found a bunch of conduit for the new shop as well.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Happy New Year !

Bending the rear frame member... it will be used for the rear wheel guard , suspension mounts, seat mount and roll bar mount. Its made from thick wall 3/4 pipe.

Shows the two 90 degree bends on the end and two new bends in the opposite direction.
One side was too far, so I relaxed it a bit on the bender.

Had to make some pie cuts to bring the ends more than 90 degrees.

Still in "draft mode" thinking out loud and test fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.