Sooo... First build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCaveman

Reaction score
Well, I'm building an off roading/hunting mini bike and am going to the scrap yard tomorrow to scavenge metal for it. I have a rough estimate of how much metal i will need(about 25-30 feet of square tube and a little bit of 1/8 and 1/4 sheet). I'm pretty sure the old lady that owns the scrap yard said it was .25 cents a pound but might give me a deal and that i just need to find what i need then they will weigh it. Anyways the point of this post was to ask if you guys use a scrap yard for your source and if you have any tips on hunting down(and moving) what i need.

Thanks guys! :auto:

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
i would use my scrap yard for my source but dont got the money for it. i use mine for getting money tho.

Swabbster

Reaction score
will it have suspension, what engine, what clutch, what size tires?, are you building it from plans, or building it from scratch as you go, i have a baja warrior i paid 240 bucks for, i have installed a tav2 knockoff from bmi karts, one thing to note mount the engine high, you may have to face some creeks or mud ect. my baja warrior can do about a foot and a half but the belt slips when wet,

TheCaveman

Reaction score
I like crawling through creeks and mud haha. Anyways I got to the scrap yard late cause they close early on Fridays. But will be going next week sometime. No suspension, 6.5 predator probably, a torque converter knock off from ebay, these tires http://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/gominikits/gominichassisminibikeparts/8-5917-mb.html, these wheels http://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/gominikits/gominichassisminibikeparts/az1144-mb.html thought about doing a fat tire bike but it would have been more expensive. I'm using ideas from a large assortment of plans, and have written up my own I'm going to go off of. I plan on putting a project log up when I get to work. Though before I build I gotta build a table to weld on. My parents don't like the burn marks on the garage floor haha....

-Caveman

P.S. Frame will be similar in design to the taco frijole but larger, I still might go fat tire its in my mind for sure... http://gokartsusa.com/Frijole-Mini-Bike-Kit-by-Taco-Minibikes.aspx

Swabbster

Reaction score
you will want large tires front and rear, off roading and stuff you will want front and rear brakes, my baja has 19-7-8 front and rear, i run low tire pressure so it is not such a hard ride, them small tires you are looking at are no good for off roading,

TheCaveman

Reaction score
I'm not mud riding with it, just riding trails, crossing the occasional creek, and getting me to food plots, though when it rains the red clay here will get soft but not so much I would get stuck.

-Caveman

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
have you checked craigslist? you might find a sweet deal on something. even if you decide to make your own frame, the rest of the parts can be used and youll save a lot of money

TheCaveman

Reaction score
Yep checked craigslist, nothing anywhere within 100 miles that's a good deal or really caught my eye. Had to go to a family day type thing for my parents work in Montgomery today. I didn't want to go because it didn't sound super fun but my dad(who loves harbor freight as much as I do) said I could go to HF if I went. So of course I went and brought my cash with me.... Well there was a weekend sale and engines were like 30 bucks off, and I got mine along with some other odds and ends haha :wai: . Put oil and gas and it started perfect first pull. Got a video of it I'll post up sometime tonight or tomorrow. So exited, got the ball rolling, ready to ride!

Btw Blue I've been following you truck thread and your truck looks really good now! I turn 16 February so I''m ready for that too!

-Caveman

TheCaveman

Reaction score
No, the scrap yard was cleaned out by the vocational school(where I learned to weld last year), gotta go to Dothan to get the metal I need. I'm having a hard time right now with school and stuff so It might be a little while before I start working, plus I want to get a lot of the parts together before I start. Refer to my project log post if you want updates or see my questions.

Thanks,

-Caveman

Status
Not open for further replies.