Some other "stuff" Ive done...

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Here are a few things Ive done over the years....Should make sense out of "Slidewayz" :thumbsup:
Ok, so, here it goes....
I totally dig all things mechanical. Here is a sort of quick run down of my past, present and probably future projects.
Past
One of my first Hobby Stocks over 20 years ago...breaking the track record :)

A few years later, I moved to a different class. Designed and built this IMCA style modified entirely myself. Did pretty good considering it had the same motor as the Camaro above.

Then a few guys and myself started a retro racing class of open wheel dirt cars that payed homage to cars that were run in the late 60s. Here is the chassis that I built

And the finished car. (which oh by the way still had that same small block that was in that Camaro above...That motor went 7 seasons of racing without a rebuild)

And the last two racecars I built and raced.

And somewhere in the middle there my son and I built this Camaro and tried our hand at Autocrossing.

Racing has always been huge to me, since I was at least 6 years old its all I wanted to do in some form...Thankfully I got to and was very successful at it, winning a third of the Main Events I have entered (nearly 40 Main Event Wins) and two track championships.
I have bent up and welded up the roll cages on all of my racecars, did all the paint and lettering and did all the sheet metal and engine work. One of my biggest accomplishments is that I have built 7 racecars in the 20+ years I raced, of those 7, I belive 5 are still racing today, and of those 5, 4 went on to win Track Championships with their next owner. Its quite a passion, though the wife calls it an obsession.

More to come....

slidewayz

Reaction score
Present.
Ok, so you probably already know about my Rupp and my Alumaflyer.
But here is one of my other big ongoing projects.
My wife's uncle built a roadster hot rod in the 50s that went on to tie for the title of "Americas Most Beautiful Roadster" in 1955. Well 5 years ago we set out to build a tribute roadster to his hot rod.
We started with this.

I fabbed up a frame

Many body mods, scratch building of panels, trying to get the proportions just right

Collecting of the identical bits and pieces as the original hot rod had such as the same 50 Ford Steering wheel, and 42 Buick gauges.

Our version, though, will have a small block Chevy and a T-5 tranny. And since I hate block hugger headers and had very little room under the hood I fabbed my own tri-Y headers.

A few years worth of work and its finally in primer

In the hopes of a bit better ride than an old buggy spring would offer, I designed a coil spring rear suspension with long trailing arms and air shocks and managed to keep all that and the exhaust tucked up out of sight.

The little power plant ready for fitting

I scratch built an all steel floor and truck pan, passenger door with hidden hinges and reversed the rims. I also scratch built the aluminum hood and sides, trunk lid and fuel tank.

Which brings us to where the car is now.

And this is what we are shooting for. The original roadster was featured on the cover of several magazines, including Hot Rod.

....dont worry...Im not done yet.

slidewayz

Reaction score
OK, so the continuation.
The roadster is the primary reason for the sewing machine. I intend on duplicating the original yellow and white upholstery that the original roadster had. Kart seats, patio furniture cushions, among other things are just a bonus... :)

So a few years ago, I am digging through all my old junk, and start to realize that I have quite an assortment of vintage racecar stuff....then I happen on a set of old super modified tires that I cant pass up and 8 old racecar wheels that I trade a case of beer for....what comes of all of that you ask????

Why this of course...the ultimate short track open wheel yard art, that also doubles as a jungle gym for the grand kids, when I can keep the wasps at bay.....

OK....maybe not all for the grandkids....

There is quite the story behind this....

And the best part...the view from the kitchen window...and a wife that digs it.

~

slidewayz

Reaction score
The saga continues...
I have turned this

Into this

And a bit off topic, but this is one of the ways I truly unwind...I dig building plastic model cars and airplanes.

And I scratch built these balsa model boats.

Now if I could only turn any of this into a fortune for my retirement.....

....and back to your regularly scheduled program.

Thanks for looking in.

slidewayz

Reaction score
And here is the latest little model I have been building....A vintage San Jose Supermodifed

Scratch built chassis, and wing. And the body was a Coupe that I turned into a Vicky Sedan.

slidewayz

Reaction score
I wish all my friends were more like you. Thanks for sharing all this.

LOL, thanks....I had hoped you folks here would have an inside appreciation for all the fabricating that goes into these projects.

Wow those are some incredible builds. What kind of metal fabrication equipment do you have there at home.
Thank you....Originally all this started out with my dads oxy-acetylene torch set up, an old Craftsman arc welder some hand tools and an old DeVilbis spray gun. I now have my own torch set up, a Miller 250 Mig welder with an aluminum spool gun attachment, I have an 8 foot brake, a bunch of body and fender tools, and some hand sheet metal tools. I still have the DeVilbis spray gun. I watched my dad intently as a kid do body and fender work and custom paint, taught myself how to do painted lettering, in High School took a year of metal shop, a year of auto shop, and a semester of basic Mig and Tig welding...most everything else has been trial and error. Its not really what tools you have, but how you use what is available to you....which leads me to.....karte_m0lim....

Marry me!!!

I am a bit torn between the horror of the thought of you in a wedding gown....or the elation at the thought of actually being married to the Stig....
:lolgoku:

hahaha :funnypost: sick.
:cheers2:

:kewlsmiley:All super cool stuff slidewayz! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks DD, means a lot coming from you....you got mad skills

:iagree: You are one very skilled individual, skilled in a few dying arts :thumbsup:
Thanks so very much Fabroman, I would like to think I am definately a throwback from the days when people built stuff in their garages, using what they had and learning along the way...I try real hard to have fun stuff, and cool things, knowing that I dont have the bucks to just go out and buy the stuff, but work to make stuff myself.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Here are a few more things Ive made.
This was for a previous employer, we needed a couple of work stations made, so I drew them up, and made them from aluminum.

And about 15 years ago, I made this for my wife for Christmas (we have owned a 1959 Metropolitan since then)

...and about 10 years ago, I surprised a buddy with a custom IMCA Modified body I built for him, and did the custom graphics as well... and then painted his helmet to match the theme....Supposed to look like a 57 chevy, he had no idea what I was going to do.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Man after seeing all this cool stuff I am really disappointed that the Alumiflyer was the best you could come up with! Why are you holding back on us? :toetap05:

Just kidding. :sarcasm: Nice job, Congrats on the Build off.
I especially like all the race cars. Back in the 90s I spent years at our local short track pitting, building, and wrenching on stock cars and modifieds, with my Dad. Thanks for sharing.

ML-TOYS

Reaction score
Omg i was expecting to hear that you had a full sheet metal shop like i use to run. Shear, hydraulic brake, roller, punch press machine, but holy cow that is some impressive work with what you have.
MAD CRAZY SKILLS, i would love to hang out there for a few days just to watch and learn more.

slidewayz

Reaction score
WOW! I was going through some old memory sticks and came across a pic of a Pocket Bike that I had about 12 years ago....I didnt like some of the fairings on it so I made new ones from aluminum and painted, striped and lettered it all up to look like a real super bike.

Attachments

• IM002308.jpg
    IM002308.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.