Soda blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentrek

Reaction score
Would I effectively be able to blast paint of small parts with this and my compressor that does 3.5cfm at 90psi? Had I known then what I know now I would have saved for a bigger compressor.
Anyway, trying to remove paint from small parts like wheels and things is way more work than it should be, I get frustrated and irritated before I get any real work done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-portable-soda-blaster-66742.html

Sentrek

Reaction score
I seen that but I figured that was using it at 90psi, I was hoping maybe for doing small parts it operating it at say 50psi or so my compressor may do the job

machinist@large

Reaction score
I seen that but I figured that was using it at 90psi, I was hoping maybe for doing small parts it operating it at say 50psi or so my compressor may do the job

How much tank capacity do you have? If you can add another tank to the system you can run for slightly longer bursts before you have to let the compressor catch up. It will take longer for it to pump up though. Long story short, you'll need to get a bigger compressor if you want to do very much of it.:thumbsup:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You could use it as is for now, with an eye toward a larger compressor later. In the meantime, you will have to work in painstakingly short bursts, with a lot of lag time in between while the tank recovers- it will likely be constantly running, which will radically increase wear.

Sentrek

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I will continue doing it the hard way for now. In order to get a larger compressor worth while I need to move up to a 220v compressor, and since I don't have 220 wired in my garage it would cost me probably $800+ to upgrade right now...
Any 120v compressors capable of running a blaster like that?

Badot

Reaction score
Nothing to say you can't run two and link the tanks together (unless it'd top off your breakers)

Obviously this would be a bit of a jury-rig though.

Sentrek

Reaction score
I have no problem jerry riggin things.... But not my tools.....
I will continue using paint stripper and elbow grease until I can upgrade.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Not that it's "easy", but I much prefer a knotted wire cup mounted to an angle grinder for stripping duty. I find it much faster. Also- high heat can be your friend.

Sentrek

Reaction score
Yeah, I have no issues stripping the paint on frames and things where you can get to it but hubs and the insides of these rusted up wheels and things is a pain in the rear... Man what I would give fir a blasting cabinet and bigger compressor.

alice

Reaction score
Soda Blasting Sydney

You can start with a bucket and soapy water, or a large can of solvent such as B12 Chemtool or mineral spirits. For a bit more money, you can buy a benchtop or free-standing parts washer that uses either water or solvent-based fluids. Many restorers use gasoline, bio-diesel, or kerosene instead of more expensive solvents in these cleaners.

OzFab

Reaction score
What's wrong with sand blasting? I bought a kit for $15 & it works wonders; even got between the fins on my 3hp head & doesn't need as much pressure as soda blasting

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
i would say there is not much wrong with sand blasting but baking soda is finer so it could get into the tiny spots a lot better and it is also suppose to be better for the environment. plus i think soda blasting leaves a protective film on the metal that was blasted so it can sit for a bit without starting to rust.

redsox985

Reaction score
Sand blasting can be TOO abrasive for delicate jobs. Blasting a head, it works, but if it's something easier to damage, you may not want the abrasive-ness of sand.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Sand blasting can be TOO abrasive for delicate jobs. Blasting a head, it works, but if it's something easier to damage, you may not want the abrasive-ness of sand.

Bingo! Right tool for the right job. Blasting media comes in many forms, from "sand" (AlOx) to soda, crushed glass, even walnut shells. Dry ice, too. The name of the game is removing the unwanted, without damaging the substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.