Soaked in gas.

Yardsale

Reaction score
Ok, my chain was binding. I soaked it in gas to clean it. It didn't work out to good. Stop by tractor supply, cheap chain.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
You can even use... chainsaw bar and chain oil. Pour some out into a shallow dish that has a lid {like one of the Rubbermaid sandwich "tupperware" boxes}, dunk the chain in it after cleaning and let the lube get into the nooks and crannies, pull it out and let it drip a little, then reinstall. Put the lid on the container when you're done and keep it for next time.

Motor oil works too, as well as transmission lube of the 80-90W variety, even some 140W.

But I suspect something higher-tech like the professor's suggestion of the Liquid Wrench stuff might be a better idea.
It is the 21st century anyway. :smartass:

There's all kinds of chain lube out there but I don't know if they're really all that good or not, suffice to say that
keeping your chain well-maintained {who does that?} is important for long life.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Ever had any experience with "Marvel Mystery Oil", meant for unsticking stuck lifters, valves, etc. on car engines? My recent experience leads me to believe that even a bunch of hardened and caked-inside-the-rollers chain gunk can be successfully cleaned out with the MMO. It cleaned out the passages in my 195K miles old Chevy van enough that after 2 weeks the oil pressure dropped off to zero at idle. Had to put a bunch of Motor Honey in it to get the oil pressure back up again.
Single-digit cost for it at any auto parts store, soak in it a good while, then flush it out completely with a good spray chain lube like I attached above. Note that I like the Liquid Wrench Chain and Cable Lube for 2 reasons, it's very successful with sticking cables, and it slings off the part that's not important. Us old dirt racers know not to use heavy weight oil that holds dirt to your chain.

jmaack

Reaction score
Mineral spirits works wonders followed by chain lube after it dries completely.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
My favorite trick after doing some really nasty off roading is to soak the chain in diesel fuel for a day. Then get a big white candle and an electric frying pan and melt one or 2 candles in the pan enough to cover the chain. Then when all the wax is liquified add 1oz of motor oil to the mixture and then submerge chain in it. Let it sit in the melted mixture for a few hours, moving it around every few minutes until thoroughly saturated. Remove and let it hang to dry (wax oil harden) and stop dripping. Then reinstall.

Yardsale

Reaction score
The new torque converter is awesome 👌. I replaced the chain with #40. I got some chain wax thanks. Busted the bolt right out of the crankshaft. I drilled, tapped it and got a grade 8. The beast eats deep sand and goes where I point it..

Attachments

• 20211225_105337.jpg
    20211225_105337.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

Yardsale

Reaction score
I built the predator motor for 5k. The diy performance superman 265 cam w/18lb springs and a carb jet kit, billet flywheel, arp rod, exhaust, lapped valves. This grandpa found a retirement hobby.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I sold and serviced EZ-GO. Liked the steel frames better in rough conditions. Aluminum frames cracked or broke too much.