SmartScope Bore Scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
Has anyone used the scopes that attach to a smart phone or tablet? I've always used either a Bosch or SnapOn handhelds and very recently I've gotten into the new era of old tools. My only main concern is OS Ver compatibility and if the app is a legit one that won't cause issues. So far this is the best price I've seen and it does EVERYTHING all the other ones do. Same MP, same features, even has add ons.

https://www.amazon.com/MiluoTech-En...UTF8&qid=1518656258&sr=8-5&keywords=borescope

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I was a bit confused first.. since smartscope is indeed an App (and a matching product) from https://www.lab-nation.com/ (oscilloscope !, not a swan neck cam)

Anywhoo..
dozens and dozens of 'photography' ,' imaging' and whathaveyou apps, can actually connect to external camera modules over USB;
So if you browse the app store (sorry, play store)
you'll certainly find one with a high enough rating to make you feel confident to test
(or maybe even buy if it's just a buck or two)

Pixel rating is pretty much pointless I'm afraid;
I have a camera module (labelled full HD 1080p) that on a good day gets you eye cancer (looks like interpolated 320px with a terrible contrast) even in bright daylight it's impossible to take a halfway decent image with it.

Unfortunately the smaller the head and the lower the price, chances are it's exactly such crappy module (mine's an 6mm body IIRC sooo say a swan neck would make it a 8mm head)

Okay, I must admi it's part of a digital dash cam I bought for less than ten bucks,
so I wasn't expecting much in the first place.. (I really just wanted the screen tbh)

Anyways, the trouble is, there are 1080 camera modules (or ones labelled as such) that are as usefull as an imagine tool as a blindfold.

I can't tell if that product is good or bad,
and even if you find a review, it's not too telling I'm afraid.
the dash cam I bought had a very good rating considering it's price... same cam in exactly the same box, same look and specs, same everything
BUT everything inside lower quality cam, inferior pcb, smaller battery pack etc.

chinese, what can you say :( Some of it is just still crap!

Amazon.. free returns... give it a try;
if it doesn't work with the camera app you picked, if the image quality is worse than watching a 4th-child VHS copy on an 12" crt tv
return it and get one for a few dollars more.

I wouldn't worry much about apps though, there should be a whoooole lot to choose from and one will be to your liking I bet ;)

'sid

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
I just want something that doesn't require charging every 15 min since the batteries in mine are non serviceable and after 6 years of use they're getting pretty crappy. Also the fact there's a lot more flex making it easier for inspection in out of reach places. Worse comes to worse I can just take a 3mm cable gooseneck and put it on. I just don't see the point of spending $500 on something that can be easily matched with something with a lot more options for less $$$. It seems like everything I see is 2mp, even the industrial grade endoscopes. But name brands never list the MP but it's definitely not higher than 5mp.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
batteries can always be replaced (well some try to make it difficult.. it's rarely ever impossible [only potted cells are indeed tricky])

but sure enough, 15 bucks is worth a try..

'sid

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
Yeah, crack it open and see what you can replace.

My camera did not have a stiff neck. I used a metal clothes hanger and some tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.