Small Block vs Big Block Speed Difference? What is Better?

KartFab

Reaction score
The gx390 Mano I have was stock stage 1 believe it or not. I upgraded a few things on it like 280 cam and connecting rod, but other than that it was stock. It actually was a very mild build.

chimmike

Reaction score
The gx390 Mano I have was stock stage 1 believe it or not. I upgraded a few things on it like 280 cam and connecting rod, but other than that it was stock. It actually was a very mild build.

I have a 390 i've been deliberating putting on my manco. Do I need more revs out of it, or just 'stage 1' air filter, carb jet, and exhaust upgrade? Currently getting about 25-30 out of a 212 stage 1 with CVT.

KartFab

Reaction score
You should get a billet rod, advance timing by 4 degrees, and get an NR racing 280 cam, torque grind.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
My power land 420cc Dragbike went 60mph at 300’. It was limited with the stock flywheel not enough timing.

it only had a NR racing 306 cam , 34mm eBay koso carb , exhaust , and the 40 series plated kit from gopowersports. And a flywheel timing key. And a long rod (piston top lip shaved off by hand to clear !)

SquidBonez

Reaction score
My power land 420cc Dragbike went 60mph at 300’. It was limited with the stock flywheel not enough timing.

it only had a NR racing 306 cam , 34mm eBay koso carb , exhaust , and the 40 series plated kit from gopowersports. And a flywheel timing key. And a long rod (piston top lip shaved off by hand to clear !)
Did you have problems shredding belts? If I was going to build a big block it would probably just be Stage 1 with billet flywheel/rod, thin head gasket and a timing advance. Maaaaybe a cam but I'd probably be fine with the stock cam (not sure how much RPM the stock cam is good for though...any idea @KartFab?)

KartFab

Reaction score
If I remove governor, then I’m putting a cam in it. Stage 1 adds like 10-25% more hp, and a cam adds a crap ton more.

SquidBonez

Reaction score
If I remove governor, then I’m putting a cam in it. Stage 1 adds like 10-25% more hp, and a cam adds a crap ton more.
In that case I might go with a stock lift cam (since I'm already opening up the engine anyway). NR Racing makes one called the 250 Twister. Sort of like a MOD2 but for a big block. 5,500 - 6,000 RPM would be all I would need since if I ran a big block I'd probably run 22" ATV tires. 6:1 maybe 6.2:1 gear ratio. That would be killer.

SquidBonez

Reaction score
so eliminate the governor in that case since i'm cracking it open for a rod and cam?
Definitely ditch the governor if you're going through the trouble of putting a rod in it. Also get a billet flywheel if you're running anything other than a GX390. The genuine Honda flywheels are supposedly built pretty good, but the clone ones are a bit weaker.

chimmike

Reaction score
Definitely ditch the governor if you're going through the trouble of putting a rod in it. Also get a billet flywheel if you're running anything other than a GX390. The genuine Honda flywheels are supposedly built pretty good, but the clone ones are a bit weaker.

Sweet. it's for sure a 390. Shoot. Now I'm tempted to put this on my coleman ct200.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Did you have problems shredding belts? If I was going to build a big block it would probably just be Stage 1 with billet flywheel/rod, thin head gasket and a timing advance. Maaaaybe a cam but I'd probably be fine with the stock cam (not sure how much RPM the stock cam is good for though...any idea @KartFab?)
No. I never made it that far cause it kept melting the internals on the 44c magnum driver. But the belt never had issues.

I was always build my stuff for heads up drag racing stuff. Might have a little effect on it also. Not a lot of actual off-road areas for karts in my area.

Attachments

• 183B7948-229D-4109-8EEE-E519158986D6.png
    183B7948-229D-4109-8EEE-E519158986D6.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

SquidBonez

Reaction score
No. I never made it that far cause it kept melting the internals on the 44c magnum driver. But the belt never had issues.

I was always build my stuff for heads up drag racing stuff. Might have a little effect on it also. Not a lot of actual off-road areas for karts in my area.
Would you say the regular 40 series driver is better than the 44c driver then? Or did you only ever run that 44c? I'd probably pick up a Comet 40 kit from OMB Warehouse rather than GoPowerSports. They're cheaper there (probably because the backplate they use is a lot less sturdy). $220 vs $370.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The 44 magnum with the magnum driven gives a high ratio of 1.24:1, with the 40 driven you get a 1:1 ratio. Low range with the 44 is 2.83:1 and 2.43:1 respectively.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
What he said. And the 44c has more adjustments for stall speed also.