Small 4-Cycle Engines

l008com

Reaction score
I have this idea bouncing around in my head. But it requires a small engine. Probably the smaller the better. But I very much want it to be an air-cooled 4-cycle.

So harbor freight has a 3 HP, 79cc engine thats $130. That could work but smaller would work better.
A few years ago, I had a 4-cycle weed wacker that was way smaller than that. But it took only 2 ounces of oil and it would always leak out. Plus it would be hard to modify an engine like that and get it mounted properly.

I'm wondering if anyone makes anything smaller? Maybe something thats 20 to 40 cc, but still 4 cycle, air cooled and has enough of an oil capacity that it's not going to kill itself after a season of use? Any ideas?

l008com

Reaction score
Hmm haven't thought that far ahead yet. I suppose a centrifugal clutch would be the easiest way to go.

Rat

Reaction score
You can't get a 4t smaller than 49cc, which is pretty small OHC, but still might be a bit bulky for what it seems your plan is.

Liquid cooled, doesn't not have any actual oil system pressurized or otherwise, valves get greased, and runs on 2t premixed nitro, and we'll my fists are bigger than those toy engines.

I'd love to have a 1/2 scale Shovelhead though

l008com

Reaction score
Lol I wasn't really going for that miniature V8 lol. I'm thinking more like a 49cc moped type motor.

Master Hack

Reaction score
A friend built one of those. While they may be cool, they are not practical. Some use them in RC cars, but they are better suited as a model on a shelf.
at $2k ya gotta be nuts to buy one.

Last edited: