Slipping clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone, I know that I have'nt been on forver. But im back and i need help with a new kart. I have a 2 seater with a 5hp Tecumseh. The only thing that is keeping from driving it is the clutch. Can anyone tell me what kinda clutch? We have'nt really gotten the numbers off the one thats on there. But we were wanting more of an aftermarket type clutch.

I am very sorry i dont have pics yet, i will by tomorrow

:useless:
 

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
We have figured out the dimensions....

3/4in. Shaft
5/8in. Belt Drive

But.... We are having some trouble finding that combination.
Any ideas?
 

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
ok so we got the enging to work and drive without taking off... now we are looking for a new sprocket we have found a couple that will fit the axle but, we dont know how to ummm i dont really know how to say this.. ummm gauge the chain. the spaces in between the links to fit the sprocket. i just need to know what it is we have to do to get the right sprocket chain combo.

Any ideas will help us a load!
Thx,
Jon
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,431
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
(quote)
Number 35 Chain: Pitch = 3/8" | Roller diameter = 3/16" | Roller width = 3/16" | Pin diameter = 1/8" | Tensile = 2,100

Number 41 Chain: Pitch = 1/2" | Roller diameter = 5/16" | Roller width = 1/4" | Pin diameter = 1/8" | Tensile = 2,000

Number 40 Chain: Pitch = 1/2" | Roller diameter = 5/16" | Roller width = 5/16" | Pin diameter = 5/32" | Tensile = 3,700
 

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Ok so my pitch is 1/4"

I looked it up and it is a #25 chain.
The only thing im having trouble with is actually finding the sprocket.

I've looked on eBay and they didnt have anything.

I found exactly what we need but it say #41/40 chain.
Is that a problem I know it's not the right number but will it work?
 

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
4
Location
vermont
How are you measuring the pitch? if its not with a caliper its not accurate enough. 1/4" is very close to 3/8" which is #35. The best way test chain size is bring it to a place that sells chain, or at least master links, and match it up there.
 

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Ok so its a #40 chain... We went to our farm supply store and compared chain until we found it.
 
Last edited:

vandancouver

New member
Messages
229
Reaction score
0
i was going to say..a number 25? no way lol
mine is also a 40 chain..seems pretty standard in the go kart stuff, 40 or 41 normally.

so now you can order your sprocket? what kinda gearing are you going for
 

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Ummm I dont really want to do 5min burnouts. I was wanting more top end than anything. But the low end tourque is what I'm gonna need for the terrain im looking at. It's mostly flat with gradual hills and I dont want to be slowed down by them =)


I was looking at a 10 in. They had a 12 in. when I bought it lol
 

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Ok I'm going for a 10" sprocket, and 15" tires. On that engine the clutch sprocket and the drive sprocket are on two different sides. There's a belt which is the clutch and its sprocket and then the one that actually drives the axle which is chain.
 

gokartnewbie

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Ummm like high and low? Right now the one that i had on there it has 72 teeth and the jackshaft has 10.



Anyways we are replacing the tires on there with brandnew 15x6.00-6 tires and getting a 10" sprocket.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top