Slide Carbs

McNamar

Reaction score
Has there been any discussion or is there a sticky somewhere regarding slide carbs? I have a 6.5 Intek with a junky gov approved carb that I would like to replace. Also, my Briggs 5hp flat head needs something new, not oem.

I've been looking at some cheap 22mm chinese clones on ebay but not sure if all of them will work. Is there a brand or general type of carb that will work with these small engines?

panchothedog

Reaction score
I have two somewhat heavily modified predator 212 cc engines on karts. One is equipped with a real Makuni 24 mm flat slide carburetor. The other is equipped with a 22mm round slide Chikuni, ( a Chinese copy of a Mikuni )
While they both work quite well, if I needed another one, I would purchase the $ 125
flat slide Makuni, before I would buy another $ 40 round slide Chikuni. Just all around a better product. Take from this what you want.

Snaker

Reaction score
I'm curious, these new Mikuni and copy carbs, are they being described by the sellers as being for 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

panchothedog

Reaction score
I would think 4 stroke. I actually have two. One of them is just sitting in a box.
They were both advertised for clone or predator, by Go Power Sports and OMB Warehouse. I 'm not really sure if a carburetor would be interchangeable between a 2 and 4 stroke. I would think so. I remember on my kids M X 2 stroke race bikes, back in the 1980's they always had a reed valve package that went between the carb and the intake port on the barrel. Don't remember the carb being much different.

Snaker

Reaction score
Yeah, there was a thing going around that carbs were different for 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines.
I did a search and there is still stuff out there on that, but nothing clear.
I have done countless carb cleaning and rebuilds and the Mikuni round slides are by far my favorite.
Had a crate full of em
But they were all used from snowmobile 2 strokes.
I have never bought one new, bought weed whip and chainsaw carbs, but never these bigger ones
I never got into swapping carbs out with different brands/styles either, just replaced with the same brand.
Even the the "modern" bike CV carbs, I worked on them but never replaced them

Another rule of thumb is that if the pilot jet is between the slide and airbox, its a airscrew, open for more air
If the pilot jet is between the slide and the engine, its a fuel screw, open for more fuel.
But I don't know if that difference was the distinction or not.

I was deep into the stuff when Mikuni did a flip-flop and changed their jet sizing system.
Went from the bigger the number, the bigger the hole to the opposite, bigger the number, the smaller the hole

Just curious if the sellers are specing any of this sort of info.