sled engine buggy project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaxson

Reaction score
well I bought this kart for the bargain of $300 and like any other project it's proven way more involved than anticipated. The guy who built it thought for some reason it would be a great idea to use the original snowmobile chain case and sprockets with 23" balloon tires gearing it for a totally realistic 302 mph at the engine redline. and he wonders why it wouldn't upshift on the primary clutch. now I have to relocate the case and use the bottom sprocket as a jackshaft to gear it down again. i hate dumb people :mad2: anyone know where i can get a piece of 1" keyed shaft that isn't the length of a full axle?

Attachments

• 100_0744[1].jpg
    100_0744[1].jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_0745[1].jpg
    100_0745[1].jpg
    152 KB · Views: 83

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Thats some serious chain, thicker than the stuff off my 750, i dont know of anywhere to get small lengths of 1" axle, but 36" is only $20 from BMI. If i were you i would just get some pillow blocks and make a new jackshaft, so you only need one chain. You could use some thick stuff from an atv or dirtbike.

dpaxson

Reaction score
well the secondary pulley is pressed onto the shaft it's on and the sprocket on there is splined so I kinda want to stick with that. plus I would need a giant sprocket on the axle to just use one jackshaft. right now if the engine redlines at 8000 a 6:1 ratio is still going to give me a top speed of 80 something. the smallest #50 sprocket I can find is 10 and a 60 tooth #50 sprocket would be like 11 inches in diameter.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense, but whats wrong with 80mph? I would still gear it for at least 60, especially if your re-selling it.

dpaxson

Reaction score
well i just finished stripping the frame and I will hopefully be priming it tommorow. I'm going to be using automotive paint and clear coat, so hopefully it will last. then re assembly just in time to tear up some snowy streets :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100_0815[1].jpg
    100_0815[1].jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 64

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
You can get 1" unkeyed shaft just about anywhere (hopefully) and then grind a keyway, and then if you need a drive sprocket, try these guys....
http://www.mcmaster.com/

They had the part I needed (I'm doing a similar build to yours with "Ed's Black Terror of Death-mobile". Hope this helped.

Now that the weather's finally below 100, I guess I better finish it?......

dpaxson

Reaction score
i actually already fixed the gearing jack shaft issue. I assembled all the drive train components before I dissasembled it for painting. thanks for the bmi link. they have some really nice stuff for pretty cheap hopefully i can prime it tonight. anyone know how cold is too cold for spray painting?

dpaxson

Reaction score
well i just finished priming the frame. final paint will have to wait until this sunday at the earliest though

Attachments

• 100_0817[1].jpg
    100_0817[1].jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0818[1].jpg
    100_0818[1].jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 15

dpaxson

Reaction score
finally got the frame back from the autobody shop at school. now I just have to get the thing put back together before it drops below zero.

Attachments

• DSCN5039.jpg
    DSCN5039.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN5040.jpg
    DSCN5040.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 15

dpaxson

Reaction score
it's a rolling chassis now. hopefully it'll all be assembled this weekend. :wai:

Attachments

• DSCN5041.jpg
    DSCN5041.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN5042.jpg
    DSCN5042.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 31

Daveon

Reaction score
... and what did you end up doing on your gearing? I'm working on a similar project and don't really know what is gonna happen using the sled chain case.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Sled chain case is too high a ratio. Just calculate your ratio the same way you would with a normal kart, only with a higher rpm ,6-8k is a safe estimate for a older fan or free air sled engine.

dpaxson

Reaction score
it's really close to being finished. it got too cold to work in my unheated garage before i could wire up the engine and everything. It's getting warmer though so i should be finishing it up soon.

dpaxson

Reaction score
... and what did you end up doing on your gearing? I'm working on a similar project and don't really know what is gonna happen using the sled chain case.

using the chain case can be kinda convenient. since you have to gear down a high revving sled engine so much it helps to have it as a jack shaft. I can take some pictures of my setup tomorrow if you want to

Daveon

Reaction score
using the chain case can be kinda convenient. since you have to gear down a high revving sled engine so much it helps to have it as a jack shaft. I can take some pictures of my setup tomorrow if you want to

That would help alot, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.