Site broke! Updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Hey Rob, here's a good way to get rid of some of that spam, on another forum I'm on the first 5 posts you make have to be confirmed by a moderator before they are posted. Needless to say, there is no spam on that forum. We'd need a fair few more mods though.

Another thing, to keep the funds up, we could have a special members (as well as normal members of course) type thing where you pay X amount a year or what ever, most of us have to save up for something cheap like a spark plug though. Or we could just have donations. :thumbsup:

I'm off to click on a bunch of google ads for you. :D

Now lets just hope that ol' Billybigspuds dosent come back. :roflol:

I wasn't going to mention it in case it provokes him! :roflol:

I hate the forums that split posts with ads. Although, I wouldn't object to border ads if the money was needed to keep this running.

Same, and they take forever to load...

Thanks

Hayden

newrider3

Reaction score
I'd volunteer to be a mod (I'm sure some would be unhappy with that though lol) as I'm on here way too much (it's 1:00 AM right now)...

sideways

Reaction score
I'd volunteer to be a mod (I'm sure some would be unhappy with that though lol) as I'm on here way too much (it's 1:00 AM right now)...

Yeah, so'd I. :thumbsup: We're almost opposite time zones, it's 4:30PM here!

Imagine all the stuff we could build if we spent all that time in the shed instead of on the forum. :worried2:

Thanks

Hayden

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Hey Rob, here's a good way to get rid of some of that spam, on another forum I'm on the first 5 posts you make have to be confirmed by a moderator before they are posted. Needless to say, there is no spam on that forum. We'd need a fair few more mods though.

That's not a bad idea. I don't think we'd need too many people on staff to handle it. There's usually somebody around. And besides- some things are worth waiting for. If I was joining NOW, I would not object to having to wait a day or so for approval if nobody is available to hit the switch immediately. Wouldn't you?

I have belonged to some boards with other functional ideas, too. One required you to write an "about me" introductory post within a certain time frame, or your account was killed. Just to show you're serious. However, this method still allows a spammer to get a few in before dying a horrible, digital death.

Another one actually had the "about me" right in the signup process and did have to be approved by a mod before your account was activated. I did, as I recall, have to wait a day or so for approval. Spam just didn't happen on that site. This is probably the most effective method.

Now- while the mods on this forum can edit/delete/sticky posts, I don't think account management is part of it. (yeah, I'm waaay green) That is something that would have to be addressed, otherwise poor Robert would be inundated with new accounts pending approval.

Regarding advertising in the forum area- I hate ads. Desperately. But- I understand that nothing's free. I really appreciate the fact that Robert has spared me the pain thus far, but if it should come to it, I value this forum enough to tolerate some advertising. Maybe a banner or sidebar?

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the approved about me section. That doesn't seem too intrusive to computer illiterate users however it would stop chinese spammers.

sideways

Reaction score
But we would have never a great bunch of guys like yourself sideways!

And you! :thumbsup:

He is! A free "thanks" to the first one to figure out what he calls himself now! HAHAHA!:wai:

It starts with a "H". ;)

That's not a bad idea. I don't think we'd need too many people on staff to handle it. There's usually somebody around. And besides- some things are worth waiting for. If I was joining NOW, I would not object to having to wait a day or so for approval if nobody is available to hit the switch immediately. Wouldn't you?

I have belonged to some boards with other functional ideas, too. One required you to write an "about me" introductory post within a certain time frame, or your account was killed. Just to show you're serious. However, this method still allows a spammer to get a few in before dying a horrible, digital death.

Another one actually had the "about me" right in the signup process and did have to be approved by a mod before your account was activated. I did, as I recall, have to wait a day or so for approval. Spam just didn't happen on that site. This is probably the most effective method.

Now- while the mods on this forum can edit/delete/sticky posts, I don't think account management is part of it. (yeah, I'm waaay green) That is something that would have to be addressed, otherwise poor Robert would be inundated with new accounts pending approval.

Regarding advertising in the forum area- I hate ads. Desperately. But- I understand that nothing's free. I really appreciate the fact that Robert has spared me the pain thus far, but if it should come to it, I value this forum enough to tolerate some advertising. Maybe a banner or sidebar?

I personally HATE the about me thing, more than once I haven't joined a forum because I had to do that...

I'm sure, if Rob let them, the mods could do the account management part. It would be completely unfair if Rob had to do all of it. I can't see many other ways of getting rid of this "rather persistent" spammer we have. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Hayden

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Thanks! - but to be honest how hard is it to spell? we have spell check with squiggly red lines. Every time you need to take a breath, add a comma. Start sentences with a capital and end them with a full stop.

Is that to much to ask? I dont think you need to worry about semicolons and the such. Even I hardly use them, and if I do its probably wrong :D

But I see some of his posts are a bit better, I guess give him sometime.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
That guy sent me a bunch of PMs asking about springs in a centrifugal clutch. After a few I gave up reading them because of the horrible grammar. Did he do that for anyone else?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Guys, please let's not turn this into a Billy-bash.
#1, he's around here under a different name
#2, it's off topic

Let his behaviour speak for itself in the long run. Thank you.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts here:

ads: they'll never be in the forum for members, don't worry about it we've got enough $ to run the site. (no, you can't have a loan! :D )

anti-spam: i think i'm just going to ban china and russia. :2guns:
seriously. I'm weighing the options, it might be a speed hit (slight) to the site but would auto-ban almost all the problems. besides this really persistent one that came around the last couple of weeks it's usually pretty light compared to what it could be, i think.

billy: we welcome all members that act right, even if they can't spell. I trust billy will from now on. (or at least try!)

thanks guys! always keep the ideas coming. I'll admit I don't see them all so always feel free to PM me. And now, BED TIME. it's 1 am.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
Good idea.... I doubt there are too many english speaking people from china or russia on this forum anyways. However... I barely see any spam on a daily basis.

Its 2am here... Ill be off by 2:30!:roflol:

Status
Not open for further replies.