Sideways pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I don't know if it is just me or what. But When I upload many photos from my computer to a post. They show up in my post sideways. :mad2: I am using a computer not a tablet or phone app. The pics are correct in my file. I have tried to rotate them in my computer. but I dunno Why does this happen?

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Tony is secretly sneaking in and turning them sideways....(he hates guys from California....) JK.....

EDIT: Have you tried turning your computer sideways? LOL...

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
crappy orientation flag in the image file.

device orientation (0,90,180,270) is the screen rotation in degrees.
since smartphone orientation is mainly portrait (and that's considered 0 rotation)
it renders sideways on nearly all computerscreens (landscape is considered 0 rotation)
when an orientation flag is not set properly.
(might be the camera model holding that compensation info.. I don't know for sure and am too lazy to check with the image standards ;))

'sid

PS yes, image viewers can compensate on their own sometimes (known camera models for example), but the graphics library for php can't.. so it'll just use the orientation flag and the embedded correction value(if available)

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
So my pics are taken by a IPhone and it is orientation flagging. then the forum system reads that and inserts sideways. Maybe If I hold the phone more level when snapping photos. Thanks Sid. I knew you would respond.

Poboy: I can turn my computer but then it hard to read the text:lolgoku: but really I was thinking of you and trying to prevent that "my neck hurts" comment.:2guns:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Odd, the iphone is setting orientation flags correctly at least to my best knowledge.
(I never had an issue with mine)

chances are, you reduce the size on your pc and loose the necessary data in THAT step;
what program do you use to reduce the file/pixelsize?

simple test: test with Jeffrey's exif viewer:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

upload an unaltered image from the phone (upload may take a while ;))
and compare it's output to the same image after you scaled it down (cropped it.. whatever it is you do prior uploading it)

'sid

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I don't think I alter the images. I just plug the phone to the computer cut and paste the images into a file on my desktop. then to upload to DIY just click browse and double click selected photo. Also Sid I have to be totally honest here: I really do not know crap about computers. So don't think too hard on this one cause I wont be able to do too much with the info anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.