Side cover bolt broke

WillMatrix

Reaction score
My side cover bolt broke off inside of the case. What is the best was to extract it.

also if I don’t spot a leaks from the side cover will it be ok for me to run the engine with the missing bolt?

karl

Reaction score
No, do NOT run a hopped up engine with only 5 bolts holding the side cover.
Why would a side cover bolt break on a almost new engine?

You did only torque it to 17ft/lbs with a torque wrench , right?

Is any bolt sticking out, or did it break off down in the block?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
What engine?

What modifications?

How/when did it break? (while torquing, while un-torquing or just while running?)

We probably gonna need more info, & maybe even some pics, to advise further

JoeWiater

Reaction score
My gokart engine has crazy vibration and it’s tuff to keep anything tight lol. I wouldn’t recommend running it without all side cover bolts. At most hardware stores you can by a kit that will drill a reverse threaded tap into the broken bolt and bites the metal so you can unscrew it.

panchothedog

Reaction score
first you have to get the broken one out. Do you know what a easy-out tool
is? It can be purchased at any hardware or auto parts store. I am pretty sure the side cover bolts are 6mm. The easy out tools are size specific, and have a corresponding drill bit for each size.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Note on the sidecover studs I use: If putting on a CVT/TC that comes with a backplate, a couple of bolts have to be Dremel-sawed off shorter to get the backplate snug to the block, and I notched the backplate in one spot for clearance of a 3rd stud. Otherwise, all stays as is.

Attachments

• IMG_20210825_130501.jpg
    IMG_20210825_130501.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210825_130327_3CS.jpg
    IMG_20210825_130327_3CS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Ok now I have a bigger issue. The thread insert on my block is bad and it came out. What do I do now? Do I tap a new thread in the block?

panchothedog

Reaction score
Must of already had a Heli - Coil in it . Threads cut into metal, like when the engine was manufactured don't just come out. They can be stripped, but they stay in place.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Must of already had a Heli - Coil in it . Threads cut into metal, like when the engine was manufactured don't just come out. They can be stripped, but they stay in place.
No I never even heard of a heli coil. When I took the bolt out it had the threads of the insert wrapped around it.

should I try the heli coil kit or put a slightly bigger thread in it?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Get a Heli-Coil kit from NAPA. It comes with the correct drill bit, tap, and extra coils. Use RED Loc-Tite to set the coil. That will be the proper way to repair it. That’s how I do stripped cases on Muncie transmissions. Never had another failure.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Get a Heli-Coil kit from NAPA. It comes with the correct drill bit, tap, and extra coils. Use RED Loc-Tite to set the coil. That will be the proper way to repair it. That’s how I do stripped cases on Muncie transmissions. Never had another failure.
Ok my next question is do I go one step bigger for the helicoil? I’m assuming I will have to retap the hole correct? And I’m including a picture of my issue although it is hard to capture on camera

Attachments

• 29174DBA-E7A2-4996-9CE0-AD0E40EB349D.jpeg
    29174DBA-E7A2-4996-9CE0-AD0E40EB349D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 1E4EF06C-94B4-45C8-80B0-92F165F9FEEE.jpeg
    1E4EF06C-94B4-45C8-80B0-92F165F9FEEE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 7107A60C-D20C-4EFB-B3F7-7DDE8EB04421.jpeg
    7107A60C-D20C-4EFB-B3F7-7DDE8EB04421.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Ok my next question is do I go one step bigger for the helicoil? I’m assuming I will have to retap the hole correct? And I’m including a picture of my issue although it is hard to capture on camera
Why are you making this so much harder than it has to be? Just go to NAPA and get a kit. It comes with the proper sized drill bit, tap and installation tool as well as the coils. I never even looked to see what size drill bit or tap it came with. I never even cared. All I ever cared about was doing it right and drilling the hole nice and straight. Just take in one of the studs with you to make sure you get the correct kit.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Why are you making this so much harder than it has to be? Just go to NAPA and get a kit. It comes with the proper sized drill bit, tap and installation tool as well as the coils. I never even looked to see what size drill bit or tap it came with. I never even cared. All I ever cared about was doing it right and drilling the hole nice and straight. Just take in one of the studs with you to make sure you get the correct kit.
I understand that but I was asking about drilling a bigger hole because the current hole is stripped and I wanted to know would I have to drill bigger before adding new threads. Thank you though

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Yooooo you called me out and was not wrong at all!!! Bro this helicoil thing was easy and I was so scared to mess it up even more but now I just have another trick to add to my Arsenal. Thank you to everybody

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That’s what I figured was going on. Sometimes you have to use a little “tough love” to get people moving. I’m sorry if I offended you, but I’m glad you got it! Neat little critters ain’t they. I first discovered them when I was 10 and stripped a bolt in my motorcycle. My dad turned me on to them. At that time he was a first class maintenance mechanic for Common Wealth Edison in Indiana at the State Line Station. I’m glad you got it!

WillMatrix

Reaction score
That’s what I figured was going on. Sometimes you have to use a little “tough love” to get people moving. I’m sorry if I offended you, but I’m glad you got it! Neat little critters ain’t they. I first discovered them when I was 10 and stripped a bolt in my motorcycle. My dad turned me on to them. At that time he was a first class maintenance mechanic for Common Wealth Edison in Indiana at the State Line Station. I’m glad you got it!
No need to apologize! I have major tough skin when it comes to learning something new. I’m in my late 30’s (last generation of hard knocks before the pansie cry babies)

I have a new question!! I installed my chikuni but for the life of me I can’t get it to lower its RPM. I adjusted the idle to almost all the way out and adjust the mixture but this thing stays in high RPMs. Please help me out