Should I use clear coat on my go kart?

SquidBonez

Reaction score
When I go to paint my kart, I'm going to be using Rustoleum 2X paint & primer over top of Rustoleum self-etching primer. Do I actually need a clear coat? How much protection does it really provide? I want to be able to touch up the paint easily to repair scratches or if I ever needed to grind off paint to do welding/modifications. I'm not sure if paint will stick on top of the clear coat.

Master Hack

Reaction score
I’ve been playing with paint lately and here is my $.02.
l have found an epoxy primer that works well. It also expensive!
Rustoleum machine and implement paint is pretty darn tough.
i’m currently painting franken buggy with single stage automotive paint on top of epoxy primer. I’ve bought brand new engines for less than what that s**t costs.
a paint job is only as good as the preperation. Get some scotchbrite pads, Dawn soap, and grease and wax remover. Clean, scrub and clean again, then repeat.
the best paint and primer won’t stick to oil, grease and dirt.
a lot of paint types and brands might not be compatible with each other, so get something you’ll be able to get again.
urethane clear coat is a nice tough top coat, and easy to touch up.
Aren’t ya sorry ya asked?

Last edited:

Cartinfun

Reaction score
I sanded down my kart till it was not shiny and sanded the rust off. Then we cleaned with water then isopropyl alcohol. Did like three coats of primer then 2-3 coats of my base layer. Cleaning between each coat. Then I did a camouflage paint job, cleaning between each coat/color change. Finally I did a matte clear coat. I guess we will see how it all holds up. I think it looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure how it's gonna hold up because I've never used this rustoleum camo paint.

Personally, I dont think im gonna care about touching up the paint. It's a kart, not a show car.

Last edited:

SquidBonez

Reaction score
I’ve been playing with paint lately and here is my $.02.
l have found an epoxy primer that works well. It also expensive!
Rustoleum machine and implement paint is pretty darn tough.
i’m currently painting franken buggy with single stage automotive paint on top of epoxy primer. I’ve bought brand new engines for less than what that s**t costs.
a paint job is only as good as the preperation. Get some scotchbrite pads, Dawn soap, and grease and wax remover. Clean, scrub and clean again, then repeat.
the best paint and primer won’t stick to oil, grease and dirt.
a lot of paint types and brands might not be compatible with each other, so get something you’ll be able to get again.
urethane clear coat is a nice tough top coat, and easy to touch up.
Aren’t ya sorry ya asked?
If I were to need to weld something new to my frame (this is a custom build) I obviously have to sand off existing paint, do my welding, and paint again. My question is if it's OK that some of the paint gets on the existing clear coat around where I sanded, or will it not stick?

Master Hack

Reaction score
If I were to need to weld something new to my frame (this is a custom build) I obviously have to sand off existing paint, do my welding, and paint again. My question is if it's OK that some of the paint gets on the existing clear coat around where I sanded, or will it not stick?
Urethane is pretty forgiving. Sand a little bit, paint and re apply the clear it will stick fine and blend in easily.
I can rattle off a bunch of unnecessary BS without answering the question, huh? Thats a skill l honed over 50 years of married life!

Last edited:

Master Hack

Reaction score
Personally, I dont think im gonna care about touching up the paint. It's a kart, not a show car.
I agree with that, but at the same time l hate to see all the effort put into paint wasted cuz cheap paint chips off if you look at it wrong. I prefer to use catalized paint for its durability. Its good looks are a plus. Then when it acculmulates battle scars, well thats “patina”!

Cartinfun

Reaction score
I agree with that, but at the same time l hate to see all the effort put into paint wasted cuz cheap paint chips off if you look at it wrong. I prefer to use catalized paint for its durability. Its good looks are a plus. Then when it acculmulates battle scars, well thats “patina”!
Yup, agreed. I'm not sure how well this camo paint that I used is gonna last. Hope it does because I spent a good amount of time and money on it. Time will tell.

As far as OP and clear coat and touch ups. Yeah, use a clear coat and then if touch ups are needed a really light sanding to scuff up the surrounding clear coat and the touch up paint should stick.

Pokitren

Reaction score
Yup, agreed. I'm not sure how well this camo paint that I used is gonna last. Hope it does because I spent a good amount of time and money on it. Time will tell.

As far as OP and clear coat and touch ups. Yeah, use a clear coat and then if touch ups are needed a really light sanding to scuff up the surrounding clear coat and the touch up paint should stick.
I should have followed that advice right away so that I could do it. I did it without the clear coat, and it didn't turn out very well :(