Shock absorbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHen

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who has used the simple mechanical shocks could tell me how well they work. I'm just looking for something cheap and easy for my current kart for suspension, but these almost sound like they will just compress when I sit in the kart (190lbs). How well do they work?

For reference http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/AZ1700-15.html

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Put them on my kart. They work great. Like fowler said, its a matter of leverage. Set em up right, and you'll be happy.

JHen

Reaction score
Two inches of travel is fine, its better than zero which is what I'm after. Just trying to make a cheap cart for my first one and am researching bits right now.

So, would you recommend standing them more vertical, more horizontal, or more at a 45?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
That's probably going to be a trial-and error thing for you, based on the combined weight of you and your kart. With everything including the engine in place, tack- weld the mounts on at 45* and have a seat. If they sag more than 50%, you're too soft. If they sag little or none at all, too hard. If too hard, lay them down more. If too soft, move them closer to straight-up-and down. In most cases, ideal is where the kart rides at around half-travel, or slightly less, allowing the most compression and rebound the shocks will allow. This concept is the best for keeping the rubber in contact with the ground.
The actual travel you get out of them depends both on the mounting angle, and the physical distance between the suspension pivot point and the wheel centre, as compared to the shock's actual location between those two points, as allowed by it's own travel. Confused? Sorry. Try this:
A two-inch travel shock mounted straight up-and-down exactly halfway along the suspension arm will itself travel two inches. Thanks to leverage, the wheel will travel FOUR. If that same shock in the same place was mounted on a 45* angle relative to the suspension arc, the wheel would travel eight inches. The catch is that the spring rate will be reduced as the shock unit us moved further away from the wheel AND as it's tipped away from 90* relative to the suspension arm. At this point, the actual math involved is beyond me, but the principal is true. Hence, the tack-and-test approach.

JHen

Reaction score
OK, that makes sense. Doesn't leave a whole lot of travel there, but its better than nothing.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Using leverage, you axle could have 4" or more travel. Im not sure how much mine has, but its got to be around 4 or 5. Check my pics if you wanna see my setup. It looks like crap but works good.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Right. Just remember the final point there. All the things that will net you more travel will reduce the spring rate, ultimately making it too soft. 12" of travel does no good if it's sitting on the bumpstops the whole time.

theo

Reaction score
Have you checked motorcycle shocks? They are much better then the mechanical ones and are fairly cheap on flebay. I have used them before and they are ok for a small kart.

mrmagoolew

Reaction score
I've heard that mechanical shocks work better than hydraulic shocks on minibikes and go karts. I don't know for sure, but I read that somewhere. I was thinking about the hydraulics for my minibike, but went with the mechanical instead. Cheaper too. Lew

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Somebody's going to have to clear me up on this. What exactly is meant by "mechanical" shock? Friction? Is there no oil in it? I'm aware of hydraulic shocks, and gas-charged (usually nitrogen-filled) hydraulic shock. What's this mechanical stuff all about?

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Somebody's going to have to clear me up on this. What exactly is meant by "mechanical" shock? Friction? Is there no oil in it? I'm aware of hydraulic shocks, and gas-charged (usually nitrogen-filled) hydraulic shock. What's this mechanical stuff all about?

The only dampening action occurring in a mechanical shock is from the spring.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yeah, no doubt. I honestly figured there'd at least be friction-based damping, like a tight rubber piston in a tube to provide some (crappy) damping. But, as far as I'm concerned if there's no damping, 1)It's not a "shock" or "damper" by any definition, and 2)That's possibly as bad or worse than no suspension. A sprung vehicle with no damping can get absolutely squirrelly on bumps, unsafely so.

newrider3

Reaction score
Tell me, why would you want to buy mechanical 'shocks' for $21 and modify them, when you can buy the real deal for $12 at the link above???

Status
Not open for further replies.