shifter kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigair49

Reaction score
This is a friend of mines kart that I will be installing a 5 speed engine into. This project will be moving pretty slowly for now but ill update as we go!

Razor121

Reaction score
I have a yz250 on my kart and i def recommend the cr two stroke cuz powerbands are very fun on karts lol

bigair49

Reaction score
The Cr is my choice as well but I am having a hard time convinceing the owner.
I wish I could build in the kitchen too those pics are from the previous owner LOL
does anyone know where I can find a 50/52 tooth 420 sprocket that will bolt to the hub?

dpaxson

Reaction score
you're not going to want a 52 tooth sprocket for a dirt bike engine. you would top out at like 25 miles an hour. you could use a #40 sprocket and just run #40 chain on the original drive sprocket. there would be little side to side play but the link spacing and roller diameter is the same

bigair49

Reaction score
dpaxson, I think the original sprocket/chain is #30 it's really small. I do know that the CR or the XR both run 420 chains and I already have boxes of old sprockets front and rear.what about 16 tooth front and 49 rear I think that is the tallest combo that I have.
I suppose I will have to make a new hub.. I was hoping to find something to just bolt onto the original hub no biggy!!

redsox985

Reaction score
I know that I originally planned on using an XR100 on my kart and that ran 428 chain with 14 teeth on the motor and I wanna say 52 on the wheel. But 40 chain is the easiest to find and it fits on 420/41/428 and I'm sure others

bigair49

Reaction score
Cool I didn't know that..It's funny here at work we use #50 and #40 chain on our conveyers and we have miles of chain and master links,sprockets, half links ect..the funny part is that I never compared the two.. I was told that the pitch was different and never bothered to confirm it..oh the possibilities are endless.......
Thanks guys!

Razor121

Reaction score
Umm... EVERY engine has a powerband...

Yea i know every engine has a powerband, the OP was trying to decide between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke, I was recommending the 2 stroke because they have a much more sharp powerband than a 4 stroke which in turn makes the kart funner to drive.

bigair49

Reaction score
So.. I found a 33 tooth #40 sprocket here at the shop would that be too tall paired with say 16 tooth front?? I have 13tooth to 17tooth fronts I think I can get any size rear at Princess Auto @ #40 what would you guys recommend considering it will have 5 gears with the XR. Any thoughts on shifter/clutch set ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.