Shifter Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie25

Reaction score
hello everyone, i am new to this forum, and i am seeking some help. i have been wanting to build a shifter kart for a while now. i have the motor, but i dont have any plans or blueprints of any kind for a frame. this is where i am hoping you all can help me. i have provided a link below so everyone can see wht im shooting for, maybe you have some great opinions or might have even built one. im looking for a few ideas with a roll cage and a few without i really wanna get this project rollin. thanks for all the help in advance.

~Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lyIVbQEgI&feature=related

Rookie25

Reaction score
ill get pictures up here soon of the motor, and the rear ends i want to use. the motor is still in the bike to kee it clean and free of debris.

thanks anderkart that thread will be a big help when i get ready to build and put everything together after i get some plans from South Kart.

Rookie25

Reaction score
Pictures

Ok i got some pictures taken for everyone to see, sorry if its a long post but i know you all like pictures to go off of.

this is the engine i will be using, its a 750cc honda.

i would love to get rid of all this wiring except for the tach and speedometer, i wont need any lights or turn signals.

these are two rear ends i have that im gonna try and make work since the bike is shaft driven, i dont know if there is any way to remove the shaft and add a sprocket or not. the last picture is of the shaft on the motorcycle im hoping it works with the four-wheeler axle.

South Kart3377

Kart designer
Reaction score
Ok i got some pictures taken for everyone to see, sorry if its a long post but i know you all like pictures to go off of.

this is the engine i will be using, its a 750cc honda.

i would love to get rid of all this wiring except for the tach and speedometer, i wont need any lights or turn signals.

these are two rear ends i have that im gonna try and make work since the bike is shaft driven, i dont know if there is any way to remove the shaft and add a sprocket or not. the last picture is of the shaft on the motorcycle im hoping it works with the four-wheeler axle.

Dang, I'm going to have to think how to design a frame to handle this kind of power. Do you want the engine beside or behind your seat. Do you have a seat yet, I would recommend this http://www.bmikarts.com/item/Go-Kart-Bucket-Seat-05595-7180 I know it's not cheap but it would be safe. I'll draw some new plans in a few minutes.

South Kart3377

Kart designer
Reaction score
Here's a rough draft, if you want the specs pm me. I don't want to become a google plans source.

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 37

Rookie25

Reaction score
Here's a rough draft, if you want the specs pm me. I don't want to become a google plans source.

That looks a lot like the frame im looking for, i havent got a seat yet, and i am going to have the motor directly behind me, centered as much as possible for obvious reasons. i have a pipe bender and welder, so im not worried about that part. but im not sure what kind of HP that engine puts out. but that design looks awesome.

Rookie25

Reaction score
Well i got most all the bolts holding the motor in taken out, leaving a few in to hold it till im ready to take it out. i was told to just cut the frame apart with a saws all to make it easy to get the motor out, but i dont know where the wires are running so im going to save that as a last resort. its going to be a slow process for me, i just had back surgery a few weeks ago. so please bear with me and the questions i might ask. thanks again everyone

Badot

Reaction score
If you just cut the frame apart you'll still have to talk the same bolts off anyways... unless you want random chunks of metal hanging off :roflol:

Granted there's the rare issue with fitting/sliding it out the side...

T.E.D. Jordan

Reaction score
I'd take the engine out like you've planned, but I'd keep the frame around the engine, as you could incorporate it into the kart for the engine mounts etc

Jordan

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Cool engine!!! I've got a 1983 or 1984 Honda VF750 Interceptor. That engine is of the same breed, but by the looks of the shaft drive, we're talking Sabre or Magna. I can never remember which is which. One is basically a Shadow with an Interceptor engine (like you show). My engine, IIRC is rated at 86hp, yours will be similar. Is your engine a runner? If so, you're pretty lucky. I received mine desperately needing carb rebuild work. Biggest problem? 28-year-old carb diaphragms!!!

Also- if your engine IS an early 750-four, look in to the top end oiling mods. The first generation of these engines had a problem keeping the top end sufficiently lubed at lower RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.