Shifter kart tire help

josh89

Reaction score
So I got the help I needed with my shifter build gearing questions on here the other day now I need help with tires my kart currently has dry rotted 11-7.00x5 tires on back an 10-5.00x5 tires in front I'm trying to replace them an all I can find on the internet is 11-7.10x5 for the back and 10-4.5x5 for the front im wondering if these will work an also is the just becouse my kart is very old an this is just what everybody runs these days or what i just wanna no they will work before buying full set any help would be great also has anyone ran the sunf tires an are they gonna hold the turns good at higher speeds

Rat

Reaction score
So I got the help I needed with my shifter build gearing questions on here the other day now I need help with tires my kart currently has dry rotted 11-7.00x5 tires on back an 10-5.00x5 tires in front I'm trying to replace them an all I can find on the internet is 11-7.10x5 for the back and 10-4.5x5 for the front im wondering if these will work an also is the just becouse my kart is very old an this is just what everybody runs these days or what i just wanna no they will work before buying full set any help would be great also has anyone ran the sunf tires an are they gonna hold the turns good at higher speeds
The difference between 11-7×5 and 11-7.10×5 is negligible and not worth the brain damage to stress out over.

10-4.5×5 and 10-5×5 is however a little more concerning because if I'm not mistaken the xx-x are profile and width... a half an inch narrower tire isn't something I would do myself.

If I was in this situation I'd go a half wider especially for something that's mostly for playing in the dirt. More width=more grip=equals more control (within reason) Especially in the loose stuff.

josh89

Reaction score
How do I determine what size my wheels are meant for I was wondering if maybe somebody forced a half inch bigger tire on the wheel I've done that as well as stretching the tires to a bigger rim on cars in the past I can not find one tire that matches the size my tires say they are

Rat

Reaction score
How do I determine what size my wheels are meant for I was wondering if maybe somebody forced a half inch bigger tire on the wheel I've done that as well as stretching the tires to a bigger rim on cars in the past I can not find one tire that matches the size my tires say they are
The numeric sizing sequence of your exsisting tires says 5" rim diameter at the bead seat.

If your front and rear rims are the same diameter then call it confirmed and measure from the tire bead to the tread surface, or measure the tread surface width.

It won't be exact but it should be enough to understand exactly where the size difference is in the new tires and order something size appropriate in the correct BSD

josh89

Reaction score
The numeric sizing sequence of your exsisting tires says 5" rim diameter at the bead seat.

If your front and rear rims are the same diameter then call it confirmed and measure from the tire bead to the tread surface, or measure the tread surface width.

It won't be exact but it should be enough to understand exactly where the size difference is in the new tires and order something size appropriate in the correct BSD
Ok so I measured the tread surface an it looks closer to 6 inches wide but the tires are marked as 5 inches wide

Rat

Reaction score
Ok so I measured the tread surface an it looks closer to 6 inches wide but the tires are marked as 5 inches wide
That sounds about right if they aren't fully pressurized, and accounting for stretch and wear.

So like Denny said, follow Anderkarts advice and look at the selections for 5" rims. If it were me I'd measure the rim bead seat width, and likely go with a 10-6×5 for the front

anderkart

Reaction score

Here's a chart that show's recommended rim widths for various sizes of racekart tires. ~ Although it's not uncommon for some kart racers to use rims that are up to 2" wider or 1" narrower (than these recommended widths) to alter overall tire diameter and sidewall-flex characteristics.

1702815710227.png