• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Shed rebuild project

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3480h

Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack Dengieboy's drift kart post, even though he brought up sheds.

So, the pics are "before and after" of a derelict 40'x24' shed on my property. When I moved here last year, the shed was surrounded by tumbleweeds and junk. The roof had caved in from the weight of snow. None of the doors would work, all stuck. I jacked up the roof, using 4x4s and 6x6 posts, a floor jack, and a few boards under the posts. Built a new truss beam under the roof ridge, and welded up a steel truss to reinforce the (now) 30 foot free span. The doors on the 30 foot section are recycled garage door panels set vertical and hinged so they fold up accordion style to make the entire 30 foot span open. There is a method to this madness: I build aircraft, and I wanted a home hangar, and one of the aircraft has a 29 foot wingspan. The other one has wings that fold (by design), so it resides in the left bay, on the west end of the free span section. I've not yet moved the wide plane from the airport yet, because there is a KART being rebuilt in there. So anyway, that's my main workshop.

Attachments

• Hangar before.jpg
    Hangar before.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Hangar now.jpg
    Hangar now.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 7

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:iagree: with just a 2 car garage, I got it stuffed with 7 karts, 3 dirt bikes, and more junk..... I still got to find room to work..... :lolgoku:

n3480h

Reaction score
There's always the kitchen. ......:lolgoku:

Oh the joys of being single: I'm building a 2287cc stroker VW engine in my laundry room. Dual ignition, 86mm crank x 92mm jugs, huge bearing for the prop hub. Yup, it's going on the airplane. I can't imagine ANY wife would put up with this, but the dogs don't care. They like to hang out when I'm working on it.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
2287? ? ? Why not 2332, since you're that close anyways? Wait? 92's aren't the biggest . Ain't it 94's? I haven't touched anything vw since I sold my sand rail...
O that's a nice stroke! Is that a necessity in a plane engine configuration?

n3480h

Reaction score
94 is the largest commonly available, but for big $ I have seen 105's.:surrender: Too rich for me.

I used 92s because 94s have a thinner wall. 92 will dissipate heat better. Important in this application. Crank uses Chevy journals. Heads use the big stainless valves. We project 85-90hp @ 3400 rpm on 100 octane. No porting, just matching.

Big jugs and long stroke are not absolutely required when a VW aero conversion is used in experimental aircraft. There used to be a Formula V racing association, and they were limited to 1600cc. These were small versions of what I'm building, and lighter. I like the additional power of the 2287 for quicker recovery from "unusual attitudes". And I should be able to cruise at ~145-150 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.