Set Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
I stripped out my set screw on my brake hub and I need to find a place that sells em. Would a hardware store have them? Are there different sizes?

DCProductions

Cockney Ragamuffin
Reaction score
Can you fit a hex head bolt? I've found that those work better than set screw. Has to be on the axle though; otherwise it's too many rpm, and the hub gets out of balance.

I know that Lowes and Home Depot sell them, so I think any hardware store would have them also.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
They're pretty standard, in terms of size and thread pitch. Bring one with you to your favourite hardware store and they should have something. I have used hex head bolts instead of grub screws, but watch your clearances. I tried to use one on a 10T #50 sprocket hub, and the chain was interfering with the bolt head. I can't see a problem with that on a brake rotor, but you never know.

machinist@large

Reaction score
Advice for not stripping the allen key?

Set screws can be a real bear not to strip out; especially small ones. Here are a few tips that I've learned along the way.

1) Take a good look at your Allen wrench/key; if the end is rounded off in any way, you are just asking for the socket to strip out.

2) Don't use loctite if at all possible; it all but guarantees that you'll never get it back out. If you have enough depth in the hole, use a second set screw to lock the first one in place.

3) A little dab of anti-seize can help in more ways than one; it lets you tighten the screw further, and helps let you get it out at a later date.

4) Toystory already mentioned some tips on using hex head cap screws( bolts). I would add that you want to use grade 8 bolts if you go that route (set screws are grade 8).

I'll probably think of more tips later; hope this little bit helps.:thumbsup:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
One last one- tighten the set screw enough to make a mark on the shaft, then remove the whole hub/collar/rotor/whatever. Drill a wee divot into the shaft on your mark, and reassemble. This gives the tip of the screw a little pocket to sit into and helps things stay put.

redsox985

Reaction score
I agree with Loctite blue. It will not make it permanent but will discourage it backing out on its own.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
Yea, I had a problem with them loosening, applied blue locktite, then stripped the set screw trying to get it off.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
then stripped the set screw trying to get it off.
Get a set of allen key sockets or can be bought singly in what ever size needed.
Use a torque wrench and stripping problems will go away. I had the same problems you describe.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Get a set of allen key sockets or can be bought singly in what ever size needed.
Use a torque wrench and stripping problems will go away. I had the same problems you describe.

x2, dont get those crappy L shaped hex keys, you always end up loosing them. The ones to fit on a ratchet are the best.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
whenever my allen wrench ends get worn out i just cut it a little shorter with a dremel.

Yep, me too! Quite frankly, if you're using the right size and they're in good condition, you should not have any problems with stripping, even with LocTite.

That said, you are generally better off getting the socket ones. The exception to this is in tight clearance areas. Sometimes the socket type simply will not fit.

oldbikerarlo

Old guy
Reaction score
The socket type are good but they get broken easy. Not because they are weaker, but because the ratchet handle applys more torque. I like the L shaped ones because I can feel the torque being applied in the flex of the smaller sizes.

redsox985

Reaction score
The socket type are good but they get broken easy. Not because they are weaker, but because the ratchet handle applys more torque. I like the L shaped ones because I can feel the torque being applied in the flex of the smaller sizes.

I've twisted the L shaped ones on particularly tight set screws. I ended up putting a torx bit into a 1/4" socket and torquing it free that way.

oldbikerarlo

Old guy
Reaction score
You are lucky, torx bits are the worst for twisting off.

My experiance with tools, comes from 40 yrs. as a machinist, and then two yrs selling tools, from a name brand tool truck. Socket type hex bits, and torx bits, were the most warrenty replaced tools on the truck. Againe not cause they are weaker, infact they are much stronger, but cause the ratchet handle applies a lot more torque. they are great tools if used with care.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
x2, dont get those crappy L shaped hex keys, you always end up loosing them. The ones to fit on a ratchet are the best.

Wait until you work on crap, that is only designed to look good all day every day. L shaped allen keys are a key component to anyones toolbox. (No pun was intended. ;))

I would say they are vital over crappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.