Server failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was in the middle of NOWHERE for the last 5 days, and somehow I was able to restart the server from my iphone while parked in the nearest town while my travelling partners reloaded us on food. It was pretty nutty, really.

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gotten the memo until today. I've got some ideas on backup plans next time I go off the grid.

We were at Big Bend National park. Great to get off the grid a while. Unfortunately, the server crapped out! I'll be calling tomorrow to get more info from the company that hosts us.

Sorry folks!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I was in the middle of NOWHERE for the last 5 days, and somehow I was able to restart the server from my iphone while parked in the nearest town while my travelling partners reloaded us on food. It was pretty nutty, really.

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gotten the memo until today. I've got some ideas on backup plans next time I go off the grid.

We were at Big Bend National park. Great to get off the grid a while. Unfortunately, the server crapped out! I'll be calling tomorrow to get more info from the company that hosts us.

Sorry folks!

I just googled Big Bend Park .It looks real nice and peaceful

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I'll try to keep this thing limping along until I can upgrade it next week. I think that I have made a change today that will stop the outages though. I believe it's email related.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
massive emails slow the system down, but won't cause a db error.

What can cause a DB error though, are attachments.
one defective image can cause the db to lock up.

that is if you told vb to store attachments inside the databse on not in the filesystem ;)

maybe you can trace the error down with the db error log that should be in your forum folder now.

'sid

PS I'd offer my help if you want.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks sid, but it's a server-level issue. we are running out of memory causing the stack to become unstable. odds are it's the spam filter hogging it all. I've been lazy and rebooting rather than diagnose it properly. Time...

Status
Not open for further replies.