"Semi kart" project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagoshi

Reaction score
New here ^^ Putted this under Kart cause I thought it was the best place to put it.

Its been a while since I wanted to build something with an engine on it. Recently thought about putting a small engine to a 3ski, similar to one like that :

Does it brings any kind of memories to any of you? :)

Anyway, Ive been thinking about either putting a set of tires at the rear or a strap (snowmobile-like) at the rear, and maybe convert the front ski to a single, or dual wheel. It would be an easy frame solution as it's already sturdy (keeps us behind a snowmobile running at over 50kph on snow, ice and some dirt ^^), but since there's no place for an engine there Id have to build a frame and weld it at the rear of the 3ski, and protect it from any kind of impact.

Now, I would need an engine - and here's the big problem. I dont have much money to put on that. Ive gathered some infos on new engines and I could have a 49CC 2stroke for $145 or a Leifa (something like that, Honda clone) 72CC with sprockets, chain, rear axle, carb, everything to make it run for $350 which is way too much for me. I could also have a McCulloch 60CC 2stroke chainsaw for under $75 bucks, but it's used to a point I dont know (altho the carb has been recently rebuilt, but need adjustment). I dont know if they would do great considering it'll have to move around about 200 pounds of stuff.

I also thought about something - my father has a really old B&S 12-14HP engine that was in our old Roper yard tractor. Engine still runs great, it's a 5-speed but the 1st one does not work anymore and 3rd have problems gearing in. Maybe I could also salvage the frame to make it more light weight and find a way to make the engine more speed friendly (its not going any faster than 10mph). I could also just grab the engine and create a frame for it. I would prefer 1-speed, as I wont be able to shift gears while running with that engine (we need to hold the brake...) It's a low RPM engine, tho - I doubt it can get higher than the 4000s. That 60cc Chainsaw engine will probably get much higher.

I also have to create some kind of suspension, cause it's gonna be mainly used offroad, so I have to find a way to keep the gravity center low while keeping everyting clear. I still dont know what kind of tires Im gonna use, probably standard lawn mower ones or kid ATV tires. I also need to steer it (yeah!) and having a suspension as well at the front would be great.

Anybody got pointers for me? Im building this with my girlfriend's bros, who're all engine freak kids (small ATVs, motocross, snowmobile, they got em up and running by themselves) to have more fun this winter... a 50CC ATV simply is not enough for a 18yo dude... me :)

Ill get a picture of the engine the Roper yardtractor uses, if it can helps anybody.

I also totally forgot bout brakes - Ill need them... lol. I think the tractor has them integrated in the transmission so that it works as a clutch too, but Im not sure. Any simple cheap brakes outta here I could make myself, or buy for really cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.