Searching For 150cc 2 Stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

directdrive

New member
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Location
B.C. Canada
I have been away from the forum for awhile but have been busy with projects. I'm looking forward to getting back to restoring the Emmick Lightning. Right now though ( and I know this is a little off topic ) I'm into these.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6rzv2yljSM
Now that you've seen the video, even the most ardent kart guy has to like that.
So here lies the question. Where can I find a single cylinder 2 stroke engine in the 150cc range with an output shaft only for a reasonable price? Seeing as this is the "DIY" Go Kart forum that means KT100's, Parilla Leopard's ,and Rotax are ruled out as are Jetski and Snowmobile engines ( because you have to buy the whole thing)as they just cost way too much. I have scoured the Web looking for a stand alone single 2 stroke in the 150cc range and have come up empty. The ones used in Thailand come from 2 stroke rototillers apparently. Somebody on here knows where to source something. Again, I know this isn't Kart related but you have to appreciate it for what it is.Thanks.
 

BirdFanatic

New member
Messages
1,616
Reaction score
7
Location
Jonesboro Arkansas
I have been away from the forum for awhile but have been busy with projects. I'm looking forward to getting back to restoring the Emmick Lightning. Right now though ( and I know this is a little off topic ) I'm into these.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6rzv2yljSM
Now that you've seen the video, even the most ardent kart guy has to like that.
So here lies the question. Where can I find a single cylinder 2 stroke engine in the 150cc range with an output shaft only for a reasonable price? Seeing as this is the "DIY" Go Kart forum that means KT100's, Parilla Leopard's ,and Rotax are ruled out as are Jetski and Snowmobile engines ( because you have to buy the whole thing)as they just cost way too much. I have scoured the Web looking for a stand alone single 2 stroke in the 150cc range and have come up empty. The ones used in Thailand come from 2 stroke rototillers apparently. Somebody on here knows where to source something. Again, I know this isn't Kart related but you have to appreciate it for what it is.Thanks.
DIY does not mean you have to build every piece of your project . A kt-100 will run you about 200 to 250$ .with 15-20 hp id think that's more then enough to get you going .But to do thoughs speeds i would turn to something more of a snowmobile engine to produce more power .
 

rushking19

Active member
Messages
1,045
Reaction score
2
Location
Richmond Virginia
Either Get The Lawnboy Duraforce 6.5 Hp Which When Modified Can Make Up To About 10hp When Modified, Or Get A Old Single Cylinder Rotax Which Can Be Found Very Cheap On EBay
 

directdrive

New member
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Location
B.C. Canada
Hey Russ. You know I have looked for the elusive Duraforce. I can't seem to find one. Maybe they were not as popular in western Canada. How many horses do they make?
As far as the KT100 goes they are a little cheaper than I thought (saw some on ebay) in that range. BTW, those 2 boats racing are full on 750cc 2cylinder Yamaha's that are modded right out. 100 mph pass! Also very dangerous. I would be satisfied with 10-15hp.
It's basically a surfboard with an engine strapped to the back and a 7 ft prop shaft.
I just thought I'd put it out there to see if there was a cheap alternative. $250 is completely do-able. Have any of you guys ever used a saw engine? I just finished a welded aluminum 16 1/2 footer that is going to have a GX440 ( Vegas Carts) with all the billet stuff.The little race boat will be just for kicks. Thanks guys.
 

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Messages
6,622
Reaction score
45
Location
Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
How many horses do they make?
Unknown...
Originally rated 6.5hp @ 2900 RPM.
I can run them at over 6800 rpm while under load.
Compression ratio has been bumped up slightly along with a Tillotson carb which helps engine to breathe a little easier.
Brand new short blocks are available for a $100 on Ebay.
Only the largest of chainsaws may work and are unbelievably expensive and difficult to get a hold of.
Edit:
Stihl MS 880
or
US820 may be more inline with your needs.
 

directdrive

New member
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Location
B.C. Canada
The US820 only makes 8 hp and costs $600. The Vintage is $1000. You are right about saw engines, not a good option. Honestly a KT100 makes 15hp @10000 rpm seems like the best bang for the buck. They do run 4 stroke classes over there too, and I have two 6.5 clones and a GX160 in my shop,but the 2 smoker just sounds way cooler. Thanks.
 

BirdFanatic

New member
Messages
1,616
Reaction score
7
Location
Jonesboro Arkansas
The US820 only makes 8 hp and costs $600. The Vintage is $1000. You are right about saw engines, not a good option. Honestly a KT100 makes 15hp @10000 rpm seems like the best bang for the buck. They do run 4 stroke classes over there too, and I have two 6.5 clones and a GX160 in my shop,but the 2 smoker just sounds way cooler. Thanks.

they have been known to go 14500 no sweat .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top