• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Scored a generator

jmaack

Reaction score
i have been meaning to buy one and finally did. Works nicely. planning to see if it'll run my ac today. online says yes I am skeptical. One gripe however is the air filter on the 420cc It is 2 layers of different density foam. Thinking can greet a good element style filter in there?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-222824_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-222824_Reddit.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 6

karl

Reaction score
Cool, looks like a nice unit. Should treat ya well. Snap a pic of the airbox!

One day ill finish mine, need to make brackets to fix the 10k watt belt drive head to the heavy c-channel cart.
Motor is 20hp kohler command v-twin , 20% overdrive, so at 3k the gen head is spun
at full 3600.

Attachments

• 20220109_190908.jpg
    20220109_190908.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

jmaack

Reaction score
Here of some pics I found. filters look like this. Things the closest shape of airbox I found just a quick search.

Attachments

• 8750filterset_1_clean_.jpeg
    8750filterset_1_clean_.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
It’s a Westinghouse so you know it has to be good. The power plant my dad retired from had Westinghouse generators built in 1929.

jmaack

Reaction score
It’s a Westinghouse so you know it has to be good. The power plant my dad retired from had Westinghouse generators built in 1929.
I'm hoping so. All I've read says it's a good brand. I checked owners manual and it says nothing about oiling the filters. Replacements online say to oil. But it's just going to be used occasionally during storms behind my house. So I doubt dirt etc is going to be an issue I still may lightly oil them though.

karl

Reaction score
That airbox and filter looks just like setup from a Honda eb5000 or similar generator.
Honda just uses one thicker chunk of foam. Id bet if you picked a filter up, id fit yours.
I don't see any issue with them. Just light oil or you can get tacky spray for the purpose,
motorcycle shops have it.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Having the 2 different densities of foam is for "filter impingement" as it's called in filter industry. Larger stuff may get caught on the outside surface, but the idea is for dirt to make it in as far as the second denser layer and get trapped there, inside the filter but not making it all the way through it.

jmaack

Reaction score
Having the 2 different densities of foam is for "filter impingement" as it's called in filter industry. Larger stuff may get caught on the outside surface, but the idea is for dirt to make it in as far as the second denser layer and get trapped there, inside the filter but not making it all the way through it.
Yeah I get that. I was hoping haven't really been looking that there would be an element filter that fits. But alot of engines use them and as much and where it will get used might be a moot point.

jmaack

Reaction score
I was gifted a generator with a 420cc on it. I ordered a tri-fuel carb off amazon and now I never have to worry about fuel going bad. It runs like a top on propane.
been looking in to that. Hoping I can do a jet change or something and run off my natural gas line outside for my gas grill. The tri fuel carbs had pretty good reviews also. I too have only ran on propane don't wanna deal with fuel issues either.

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If you get the tri-fuel carb it should work just fine on natural gas. I have been looking into them myself. I have a hemi 420 HF generator sitting in my kitchen (6 years now) never ran once.