Safety in your shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
74
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
*When working on exhaust pipe use a chop saw not a grinder grinders can slip out of your hand if they jam and a chop saw also provides a nice even cut

Yeah, I'm gonna pick on this one too:

So, what you're saying is, if I don't have a dropsaw, I can't cut exhaust pipe? Well, I've already proven that I can cut 2" exhaust pipe with a 4" grinder; it's not always about using the correct tool, it's more about correctly using the tools you have...

One of the most important things I learned about being a panel beater is learn to improvise! Sometimes, you cant get into that tight spot so, you need to figure out the quickest, easiest & safest way to do so...

I think jandj said it best, "consider the job before you pick up a single tool"...

Not to sound harsh but, the fact that you had a disc explode on you doesn't mean you were using the incorrect tool, you were simply using the selected tool incorrectly.

Freak accident? NO, accidents don't just happen, people mess up (& you can apply that to any situation; examine the series of events & you'll find a point where someone did something they shouldn't have done...)
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
71
Location
White Settlement Texas
Yeah, I'm gonna pick on this one too:

So, what you're saying is, if I don't have a dropsaw, I can't cut exhaust pipe? Well, I've already proven that I can cut 2" exhaust pipe with a 4" grinder; it's not always about using the correct tool, it's more about correctly using the tools you have...

One of the most important things I learned about being a panel beater is learn to improvise! Sometimes, you cant get into that tight spot so, you need to figure out the quickest, easiest & safest way to do so...

I think jandj said it best, "consider the job before you pick up a single tool"...

Not to sound harsh but, the fact that you had a disc explode on you doesn't mean you were using the incorrect tool, you were simply using the selected tool incorrectly.

Freak accident? NO, accidents don't just happen, people mess up (& you can apply that to any situation; examine the series of events & you'll find a point where someone did something they shouldn't have done...)

Yes- I couldn't agree more. ......we all come to points where we have to balance risk vs. reward in life......The only foolproof way to perform manual tasks without risk of personal physical injury. ....is to have someone else do them for you. .....

I am a carpenter and a strong opponent of safeties on nail guns......Most of mine have been removed and I have seen more accidents and heard of fatalities that would never have happened without them.....

The first 2 are by personal experience. ......a buddy of mine was walking with a framing gun.....just to be clear...a nail gun safety is on the nose....you have to press it against a surface to make it go off......If you disable it. .it will fire as soon as you pull the trigger. .....

So on the surface. ...it would seem that a gun with a safety would be safer....

However. ...When you get used to using one with a safety. ...you get in the habit of holding down the trigger. .....and slamming the the gun down on the surface of what you are nailing to dispense nails........

So unconsciously. ...my buddy was walking along with the trigger depressed on this nail gun. ....when he accidentally bumped the end of it with his knee.... burying a 12 penny framing nail behind his knee-cap.....Can you say ouch?

Another guy I worked with was on a scaffold and hooked a nail gun over the pipe on top. .....He accidentally bumped into it....and since the trigger was depressed by the pipe.....got a nail in the kidney.

And then I heard about another guy who got one in the heart.......same kind of deal........

So tools can be a great asset in time saving. ....or a great liability if used without great care. ......
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
Another thing....as I mentioned complacency biting you in the ***...I'm guessing everyone of us old farts has done this.....you're doing a job you've done many times before. You know the potential dangers and you think you are being careful. The job is going well until you realize you just got away with doing something stupid because weren't paying as much attention as you thought you were. As you step away to have a smoke or a soda you think to yourself, "You dumbass. You could have really got hurt. You know better! Pay attention before you end up in the marble orchard".
 

88nightrider

New member
Messages
130
Reaction score
4
Location
Norway, Sandnessjoen
Another thing....as I mentioned complacency biting you in the ***...I'm guessing everyone of us old farts has done this.....you're doing a job you've done many times before. You know the potential dangers and you think you are being careful. The job is going well until you realize you just got away with doing something stupid because weren't paying as much attention as you thought you were. As you step away to have a smoke or a soda you think to yourself, "You dumbass. You could have really got hurt. You know better! Pay attention before you end up in the marble orchard".
I don't think I can be placed in the category "old fart" (even if I felt like one at times). But there have been times where I could have had those realizations multiple times a day...

Always be careful. And devote your full attention to the job at hand, especially when using power/air tools.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
It's faked..... Wonderful world of computers..... At one point, he is not even looking at the canvas..... Yet the nails are hitting their mark.....
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
71
Location
White Settlement Texas
For one thing. .....that nail gun only holds about a fourth of the amount of nails that picture contains (if that....)....Yeah .....cool video. ....but about as realistic as Mel Gibson shooting a smilie face on a range target......

Edit: Watched again and they do have the magazine open......and a long stretch of coil nails straightened out. .....So ignore above↑.....
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
Another thing that'll **** you up.....people around you while you are working. If you stop to talk to someone, even if only for a second - stop and refocus before you go back to work. I once was repairing a bigass airbrake chamber. Had everything I needed, had everything planned out. Put the chamber in a vise to hold it. Buddy asked if he could borrow a tool, I said sure. Went to undoing the clamp....and remembered "Holy ****! You didn't cage the brake!" That one mistake could have killed me or someone else. There's no job so important that safety isn't important.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
71
Location
White Settlement Texas
Someone do me a favor and post up a link to 'German Carpenter' on YouTube. ......It's a safer alternative to a nail gun and maybe 'sid can translate. .......:lolgoku:
 

porsche930dude

New member
Messages
906
Reaction score
29
Location
Upstate, NY
I dont wear safety glasses anymore but I always wear a full face shield. Not only much safer but you can see better out of it than scratched up foggy glasses. Back before i wore a face shield I wore safety glasses and still had to get shrapnal removed from my eye twice! got to be aware of where your sparks are flying not only at yourself but everywhere. there have been times where I caught rags on fire on the other side of the garage
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top