Safer chain setup?

Preduhtor_122

Reaction score
I made a post on here saying how my predator 212 stage 2 Wasn’t making enough power to get me past 40 but I realized I needed to connect my chain from the back tire straight to the clutch instead of using the stock jack shaft Now I’m hitting 55+mph easy. I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a way to get a chain tensioner setup going on. I’m afraid of the chain slipping and getting caught in the tire. Thanks!!

mckutzy

Reaction score
Then the gearing is off... And ya youll get there but what is the current gearing(with jackshaft), machine in question, tire diameter, pics.....

Colemanman

Reaction score
Setting it up like that will work but not well. Youll proably have to weld a tensioner mount to the frame and make a bracket for the wheel and attach a spring. The chain is so long and it slaps up and down, putting a lot of stress on the clutch bushin, the chain has to be suuuper tight otherwise it tends to fall off if the alignment is ever so slightly off. I recommend you use your stock jackshaft and replace the 10t sprocket with a 20t. Youll have the exact same gear ratio as you did straight chaining it from the clutch to the rear. 5 to 1 ratio. Youll have to space out the clutch some, space out the jackshaft sprocket and possibly make the tensioner wheel stick out more to align it with the chain. The jackshaft sprocket is 15$ or so. Use that method and you'll keep your tensioner system and have a much more reliable and durable drive system than doing it the other way.

Colemanman

Reaction score
How long does it take you to hit that 55 though? Is the takeoff from standstill sluggish?
Its pretty sluggish until about 20 mph when the clutch fully locks up. When running right, they'll pull hard all the way to 55mph. At speed their perfect but the dead stop take off is nothing special.