Running a vertical shaft motor Horizontal

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertty

Reaction score
I have a 6hp pressure washer motor in perfect shape, the washer portion is seized. Pulled it off motor runs great. I took it apart today to get a look at the oiling system...there is none. Aside from the carb and dipstick, would just adding a dipper to the con rod work? Just like a 5hp briggs? Im interested in this because i have 3 or 4 vert motors to use, one being a 12-13hp, and would like to use them on a gokart or mini bike. Im going to try it anyways, itll either work or the motor will seize, just looking for input either way. I have a tig welder and a lot of fab/welding experience so making a new intake manifold and rotating the carb and dipstick will be cake. I actually think the dipstick is 1/2 inch pipe thread so thats even easier. My uncle has also been playing with IC controlled spud gun coil/spark plug ignitions, So that may be my next project. Its just a simple rewrite of the software to fire off of a trigger(flywheel magnet). The nice part would be having a 100% adjustable timing curve. Input? thanks guys!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
its been done, its not a huge project and would be worth it if it worked right. Mounting it may end up being a pain though.

qwertty

Reaction score
mounting it that way makes sense. All the load is vertical and right in that lawn mower style mounting area. It would be mounted the same way as a motorcycle engine. And im only doing this cause i have the motors so if i can make it work, score for me

qwertty

Reaction score
Basically you are using some sort of relay(SER its called) to light off a 12v automotive ignition coil to fire the plug. The coil could trigger off of the magnet on the flywheel, but thats no fun. Instead im using a circuit/software designed to light a spug gun at the push of a button, and replacing the button with a trigger on the flywheel magnet, say 40 degrees BTDC(advanced). Then the software can very easily be set for a time delay, or ignition retard, based on RPMs. So you can have a very idle friendly 8 or 10 degrees BTDC and also have a nice powerband. This same circuit could also very easily fire a fuel injector, but im not dealing with fuel pressure and o2 tuning. This would also allow the use of a big cam in a 5hp or animal engine while still keeping a nice idle and letting it rev a little better than the stock magneto. The program will be very simple, just RPMs vs time delay in miliseconds. It would also be very easy to add on an LCD tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.