• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Rotary tool fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Walker

New member
Messages
898
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
So I have a simple dremel 200, bought 2 years ago. yes still under warranty, but I have to mail it off to them, and pay for the postage. I finally [after about 3 weeks] received my bushings and caps [I stripped the original ones] thought that would fix it, and it did, but the faulty switch that I had before, must of gotten worse some how for sitting untouched for as long as it did, about 7 months. don't know how.

So I took it apart, and cleaned the connectors, it started, then it would die after like a second. so I had came to conclusion that it is in fact, lose wiring. cleaned up all the connectors, kept taking it apart, and putting it back together. until It ran again, left it running for 5 minutes to break in the brushes, turned it off, turned it back on after 10 minutes, just fine. after messing around with the wire wheel and the polishing wheel's [little something I've been needing to do] I turned it off, now it wont start. so instead of taking it apart again to fiddle around until it works. I decided to see if anyone on here had any idea's of what might be up with this thing?

any idea's on how I could fix it? or just simple bypass the switch on there for something different? I really don't want to have to order a whole switch assembly, if it comes down to that, I will just buy a different rotatory tool, not dremel brand, too many problems..
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Never disassembled my dremel (no need to..)
But the last time I had a problem with a switch in a similar sized tool (beard trimmer)
I soldered on new leads and tested everything, and when reassembling the wires where a tad too long, and I accidentally kinked them; it went well for a while until the last strand failed and the switch had to be rewired again (this time more carefully ;))

No need to mention that about a month later the internal battery failed and it was cheaper to buy a new trimmer than to replace the battery :lolgoku:

Anyways, check if you broke one of your wires as I did.

'sid
 

J_Walker

New member
Messages
898
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
wire's should be fine, I pinched one a little but it still ran afterwards, and it didn't cut the insulating. but picture's of what I'm looking at.

Bathroom, Cause it has light!

edit; these thing's are built the cheapest way possible, that's for sure! I took a vacuum cleaner apart that was 10 years old, a while back ago, and the connectors and controls were more sturdy then this dremel!
 

Attachments

  • 2013-10-23 22.14.55.jpg
    2013-10-23 22.14.55.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 2013-10-23 22.17.09.jpg
    2013-10-23 22.17.09.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2013-10-23 22.17.34.jpg
    2013-10-23 22.17.34.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Do you have a multi meter handy?
can you measure the resistance of the individual parts?
cable, switch, motor basically

Maybe the powercord itself is corrupted, maybe you still have a dead spot on the potentiometer, or maybe the brushes are not properly connected somehow.

I have to guess here of course, but I think as long as the coils of the motor are okay you can fix that easily.

'sid
 

J_Walker

New member
Messages
898
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
that's what I was thinking!

and no, I still haven't bought a new multimeter [last one got stolen]

the motor itself is fine, I'm almost 98% sure it has to do with this little black switch.. I just wish I knew what wasn't making contact... or coming lose.


edit; I'm wondering if its the "plugs" that connect to the main power wire.. tomorrow im going to wrap some copper wire around the plugs, feed them through the old holes, and just twist the wire onto the main plug wire.. see if anything changes then...
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
the black one is a simple on off switch with some copper inside, it might fail, but that's unlikely..
The variable speed motor controller (blue in your case) is more likely to fail, especially the triac that's on its pcb.

But be sure to test that simple switch first.

If you don't have a multimeter ATM, you can cut a small length of constantan wire and make a circuit with a 9V battery to test the switch.
If it's getting hot you know the switch works properly, and you don't blow a fuse if it doesn't ;)

If it's not the switch it might be said triac
this one should fit:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BT134W-600D,115/568-3649-1-ND/1154864

it's cheap, but if, better find it at a local electronics store, otherwise you may end up paying enough for shipping to buy a new speed controller ;)

personally I hope for the best (broken cable somewhere)
that's the easiest thing to repair ;)

'sid
 

J_Walker

New member
Messages
898
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
still not fixed, and my fiberglass is cured and ready to be cut...

it just sucks, that it's the speed controller that's broken.. while the rest of the tool works. and I can't find much online about bypassing the switch all together. only thing I can find is new switches, and that's gonna cost me like 15+ dollars. plus shipping! the tool is only a 40 dollar tool!
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Hi,
I just looked.. mine is 395 series 5 And I don't have an on/off switch (it's in the speed controller off-1-2-3-4...)

Anyways, you can bypass the controlboard...
Dismantle the speedcontroller take the pcb out and short the two contacts.
The dremel will be at max speed of course but at least you know it's the pcb that's faulty.
(the easiest way I think)

maybe you can see what's wrong with the pcb, wear or a brown halo or something,
and repair just the pcb, otherwise I'm afraid it's 15 bucks (I haven't found any cheaper replacement yet)

'sid
 

J_Walker

New member
Messages
898
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
I would like to update, that I just fixed my dremel..

How'd I do it you may wonder?

Under the blue caps, that hold down the brushes. I ripped apart a dirty/oily cotton swab, and stuffed them under, and screwed them down, all and behold. the thing works again. Seriously. at this point, I'm throwing all logic out the window. [and maybe this dremel...]
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
I would like to update, that I just fixed my dremel..

How'd I do it you may wonder?

Under the blue caps, that hold down the brushes. I ripped apart a dirty/oily cotton swab, and stuffed them under, and screwed them down, all and behold. the thing works again. Seriously. at this point, I'm throwing all logic out the window. [and maybe this dremel...]

I don't want to say "told you so" but...
.... or maybe the brushes are not properly connected somehow.

But glad you finally got it running again :thumbsup:

'sid
 

zbuck

New member
Messages
781
Reaction score
3
Location
Ft. Wayne, IN
:wai:My 10 year old Dremel gave up the ghost. I sent it back to Dremel to be rebuilt. They sent me a brand new 200 no charge with a note stating my old was obsolete.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top