Robins. Briggs, or Yamaha?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evoluent

Banned
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
N.H, USA
Alright, here's a good one for you "Pros" out there. My son and I are in the last 1/4 of our go kart build. It was done by using and old Yerf Dog Spiderbox frame. I widened the frame a bit so I could set up a shifter in the center if need be. But now the real question remains... What engine should I choose? I've had Robins Subaru engines in the past and like them, but I know they're bit fun when it comes to finding parts. I also have a '96 Briggs Vanguard V-Twin 18HP I've had since... a long time. I was thinking about making a gear reduction unit and running it that way, but then I'd have fitment issues with the rear frame, and the fact it could just be too much for the chain/axle. Then I have a '74 Yamaha MX175 Engine (Hence the shifter) that I wanted to use, but fear it'll either cut out due to the heavy load, or just not work at all. Any ideas?
 

Evoluent

Banned
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
N.H, USA
The 18 hp sounds like it would be fun with a 40 series torque converter.

That's one thing that never got clear to me is the difference between the TCs. I've replaced them but usually on Snowmobiles and other equip, so I always did things factory. I'm gonna need it 1" bore whatever route I go, regardless.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
The Yamaha and Briggs are going to have fabrication issues. The Robin is the only one that might just be a simple bolt and go engine. You didn't say which Robin it was though. I know Robin has very expensive parts and aresometimes hard to source, but it might make your life a little easier

If all three of them are 1" bore, then i would just go for the 40 series TC.

You could always just get a 212cc Predator for $100

Post a pic of the kart so we can see what you are working with. It might influence our advice
 

Evoluent

Banned
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
N.H, USA
The Yamaha had around 14 HP and 5 speed idk how it wouldn't pull it if a subaru engine would

Well, I'm 6'3 and weigh about 260, and the MX175 barely hauled me. Though it could just be it needs a severe tuning. It'd be the Subaru Robins EX21 is what the Manco Karts came with, I believe. That's a 3/4 but I'd still like to have the option of gears for steep hills and tall grass. That or if I find a way to make a MC trans run off a small engine. I'm chock full of overly complicated ideas...
 

Evoluent

Banned
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
N.H, USA
UPDATE: I just got a free '78 Honda CM400 Hawk "Hondamatic" in which the frame/tank & plastic are completely trashed but the engine and electronics are impeccable. Only question is do I wanna put in on the Spiderbox or my Manco Scorpion I had since new?
 

Evoluent

Banned
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
N.H, USA
Other possibility you send it to me, and don't worry about it. Another option is to tell us how you get all these...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HA! Someone mad jelly? JK. We've bought a lot of crap through the years, and the Vanguard is off my granddad's tractor. We put a Predator 22hp on it since the B&S was showing it's age. The Honda my uncle had and he just let it sit to waste. We WAS gonna have it junked until I was the one hauling the scrap heap. I can't tell you how many motorized things we went through the years... >.> The Yerf Dog I traded a F-250 parts truck for, and the Manco I've had for a long while.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top