Robert's Bar Stool Racer, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really excited about starting on the bar stool racer. Yesterday my wheels and tires arrived (5" Slicks on aluminum rims) and today the mother-lode of parts should get here. Pics tonight.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, got most all the parts. I ordered the wrong size chain, and for some reason there were no keys for the live axle keyway, but otherwise, I think I have everything I need!

Attachments

• gokart1-007.jpg
    gokart1-007.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 162
  • gokart1-003.jpg
    gokart1-003.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 44

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
it's an 8HP briggs. The engine came off a generator. To get the generator off, I ended up cutting the shaft off.

I'm pulling the crank out this week and taking it to my buddy who has a lathe/milling machine, and we're going to cut a keyway and make a sleeve to bring it to the appropriate diameter. Should be interesting!

If I wasn't doing that and it was rusty? I'd just hit it with a wire brush.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
yeah i looked at it again and it looks a little big for a 5HP. your going to have crazy acceration with an 8 horase and a torque converter. i bet doughnuts are going to be easy. keep on buildin.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, here's tonight's progress, (not much!)

I removed the gas tank, which will be remoted. I think I'll put it just behind the seat, above the engine.

I mocked up the torque convertor with the engine. Whoa! This thing is huge! Even after removing the safety cover, the bar stool is still too narrow for the combo.

So i tried to play with how things would fit if I mounted the engine at various forward/backward angles. Nothing looks great. The torque convertor and the air intake won't work with this bar stool.

Next time I'll be playing with expanding the legs of the bar stool and seeing how that will work. In the second attached photo (not mine) that appears to be what they did.

I'm also firming up the frame design. I intend to have a low-slung frame, and the wheelbase will be 29 inches. I read somewhere that is "regulation" bar stool racing wheelbase, so it's good enough for me.

Attachments

• kart-day2.jpg
    kart-day2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 115
  • bent-out.jpg
    bent-out.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 170

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Building on the DIY method is always an adventure in tweaking, and the bar stool is no exception.

My engine was too large for the barstool and torque convertor combo. I'd thought of cutting the back legs off and making some framing supports to hold it, but I was loathe to make the bar stool look less like a bar stool.

Then we found the answer! The ring that supports the legs of the stool is mounted on the outside of the legs. But, if I took the support off, and reattached it on the *inside* of the legs, I'd get an extra inch in all directions! And it still looks very stock, just wider. (See the pic)

After figuring that out, it was time to start making a frame plan. (same pic)

A lot of people email me and ask "where's the plans!? What's the measurement for XYZ?" Well, this is how I do it.

I like to get out some chalk and draw the frame on the ground. then you can line up things and see how they look. For a bar stool, it's a pretty simple plan. I'll post more as it is built. And on this one I'll write down all the measurements as well.

So far the wheelbase will be 28". The outside tire width is about 34".

Attachments

• chalk.jpg
    chalk.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 72

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot has happened, and I've got tons of pics! I'll give you the short update for now.

I finalized my frame design and got to building. I decided on a 27" wheelbase. Ken Lowe's racer was only 24", and he could pop great wheelies. I figured to extend by a few inches and with my jacked up power, I will still be able to wheelie with the best of them.

Like I've said a million times, I prefer to make things to fit me. I'm tall, and I figured a couple extra inches will help. Plus with a 36" axle, I dont' want to get too short!

The pics show the general frame design. Two frame supports will be added from left to right to support the engine mounting bracket. I might brace the front part where the front axles attach to give more safety, I'm unsure right now.

I still hope to use the 8 HP. I'm worried because my buddy with the lathe is pretty busy, (who isn't) and therefore it might take a while to get the engine working. I'm considering measures I'll take in the mean time. Maybe mount the chopper engine on it, maybe something else. We'll see.

Attachments

• frame-1.jpg
    frame-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 69
  • frame-2.jpg
    frame-2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 77
  • frame-3.jpg
    frame-3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.