right angle gearbox and clutch idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryf

Reaction score
ok so this is kind of out there but I am going to put it on here to bounce it around. a open differential from the front of a quad or a light duty inline car etc, put a brake on one side and a output chain/pulley on the other. when you release the brake it would spin the side that requires the least force, the rotor, set the brake (aka clutch) and it would transfer energy to the drivetrain, it would be a softish clutch, but using a rotor and caliper it would be cheap to service and easy to work on. I am still tossing the idea around but I know the theory is sound, just not sure if it would work in practice lol. simple theory now moving to stage two......

stage two of this, which applies to me. I use a 2 axle peerless transmission with open diff on my cart, if I apply the brake to one side and output from the other, I cut my needs for a jackshaft and it will REALLY help with uphill (under load) downshifts (in theory). if I put a centrifugal clutch on the input/engine side (or left my belt clutch in place and figured out a linkage to do both) I could then shift the mower transmission with ZERO load and input torque (allows shift on the fly without trans damage!!)

thoughts or prayers? lol

souperman000

Reaction score
Wouldnt the brake just act as a parking brake? and then the drivetrain would move after the brake is released? I guess it would work as a clutch...then you would be using it to stop the entire drivetrain insted of just the axle...

just thinking out loud

ryf

Reaction score
your thinking of a straight axle or solid axle, think like a pickup, you jack up a rear tire on a open diff pickup, the one in the air turns, the other doesn't, what I propose is setting the parking brake on only the tire in the air, which should make the other turn, and releasing it to unload the other.

ryf

Reaction score
not really lol, more like a Model T being used for a PTO, (pull a tire off and run your implements by putting the truck in gear) the only difference is the implement is my drive train.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
I like this idea, as of now I see now problems with the concept. As long as you can get a proper diff, and hook up all the components to it I'm eager to see this work!

ryf

Reaction score
its on my list, I am currently elbow deep building a trailer to haul my toys, the buggy is next, I just put the first coat of paint on the trailer so kinda getting ready to dive into it! I dove into the trailer 3 weeks ago from scratch, and its almost crossed off (sold my second pickup so a proper trailer became a priority)

Status
Not open for further replies.