Ride height problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
Is the a way to increase ride height without changing chassis. Height is currently around 1/2 in. I bottom out on even small rocks in the road. Rear tires are 11x6-5.

Attachments

• IMG_20160323_181414.jpg
    IMG_20160323_181414.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20160323_181447.jpg
    IMG_20160323_181447.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20160323_181514.jpg
    IMG_20160323_181514.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 19

Ryafor

Reaction score
Not surexabout the front end but the back maybe weld a 2-3" piece of steel then weld your bearing hangers to it? Kinda hard to explain but then maybe a bit bigger front tire?

Ryafor

Reaction score
See your bearing hangers? If you got some steel abot the same size and welded it to the bottom of the chassis then welded bearing hangers to it should give you a few inches

Ryafor

Reaction score
Rayfor he does not want to change the chassis. Welding or cutting stuff off changes the chassis. :thumbsup:

Denny

Lol I'm a bit slow. I thought by that he meant he didnt wanna get a new chassis. Then yes the most obvious answer is taller tires but that can get expensive. With that hes gonna have to buy tires, change his gearing possibly and maybe even have to get a torque converter. Not sure whats on the now cause im in the reply window abd cant see the op

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry.. but that frame looks bent to me. (looking at the original engine mounts)

Yes, karts are terraphilias they always want to be close ...
but that's insane and doesn't seem to be right;
also that tubing doesn't look like it was designed that way.
it rather looks like some 1200pound gorilla slammed it down.

Can't tell for sure; but I'd straighten that out a hair or two.

'sid

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
Frame actually does look bent. You can see the front cross-rail is about 1' -1 1/4" off the ground, looking at the the section where the tube bends up into the rear assembly that's MAYBE 1/4...

I'd say find a couple brick, put them right where you have the market and try to bend the frame back into shape. But do it VERY lightly and carefully.

Ryafor

Reaction score
I was kinda thinking bent to as a matter of fact. Not only bent maybe slightly twisted? The one front tire doesnt look to me like its on the ground

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Nvm I wasxwrong about the tire but it does look bent now that it's been mentioned

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
Ya thought that too. Expected on something this old. I have a torch but no help to bend it. I was thinking of tires but then i would need new rear rims. 11x6-5 is the largest I could find in 5in rims

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

That and the location of the bend is right under the seat. What keeps it from happening again. I am 160 pounds.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Put a 4x4under the seat, get a couple of fat girls, one to bounce on the front and one on the back. No torch needed.
Then just add some extra bars to keep it from happening again.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I dont like small cars or real big women but somehow I always find myself _ _ _ _ _ _!

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
Thanks all to helped with this. Went from 1/4 in clearance to about 1 1/2 in. Marker to hammer. Nice.:thumbsup::wai:.

Attachments

• IMG_20160325_200437.jpg
    IMG_20160325_200437.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20160325_200405.jpg
    IMG_20160325_200405.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 6

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
The redneck way. I chained the rear bumper to a clothesline with front about 3 feet off ground. Put a log under frame right in front of tires and stood on front bumper lightly bouncing. Lol it worked :cheers2:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

Good.. looking much better now (from what little can be seen in that nightshot ;))

I hope that frame isn't too brittle now because of all the cold deformation.
So check those spots regularly for cracks to occur.
Personally, I don't think you'll have to worry about it too much;
but just to be safe, keep your eyes open.

'sid

Daniel Sheffield

Reaction score
It took my whole body to bend it. There are stress cracks on the cross member behine seat, but those were there when the front engine mount broke. I will watch it though. The frame use to bow slightly lower before when i would sit down, now it's a lot stiffer. I think if I avoid hitting speed bumps and large holes I should be fine. Will post better pics later.

Status
Not open for further replies.