Reverse for motorcycle powered ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
So I was thinking why can’t somebody use a pulley system like on a mower deck off of the lawnmower. and then put the handle to tighten the belt up like right next to you like any brake handle. and then you just tighten it flip the switch to turn the electric motor on then when you’re not using it just pull the handle back up and then it would be free spinning like like a regular rider mower would be when not in use.

Need to figure out reverse for my Spiderbox build.

They say the starter and flywheel is unreliable.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's unreliable, but it's not something that you should do all the time. Most just use the gear and starter to back off a trailer or truck and that's it. Your idea could work, would be a bit of a pain to setup and you could have a lot of belt slip. Could find a FNR-Hi/Lo Polaris gearbox and put it in. Think it was a 90s 450 ATV, can't quite remember. If you go to Minibuggy.net and look for Daaboots Microburst build that's the gear box he used on his mini buggy.

Here's the link http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/18351-davids-250-micro-burst.html

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
If it’s a gearbox I gotta support over 200hp. So without spending well over in the 1k+ range I haven’t found anything that will support the power.

KartFab

Reaction score
My thought for the day. Buy a ring gear and the starter. Weld the ring gear to a hub that you install on the axle. The starter is automatically retracted when no voltage is applied. Install a momentary on push button or something like that and when you want to reverse at Stop just hit it and you’re reversing! Just a thought though, never done it.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
If more torque is needed, could mount the ring gear and starter further from the spool, put a second sprocket on the spool and run a reduction from the ring gear. It'll be slower, but should last longer. Probably want a built in gear reduction starter (apparently some MOPAR starters are like that?) Or use a diesel starter from a PowerStroke, Cummins, or Duramax...those might have more torque than a gas starter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.