Retired guy building junk

Master Hack

Reaction score
Hi All.
Hoping to learn the right way to do this stuff. Retired 3 years ago and srarted looking for a project.
Retired machinist, with a few machines and a pile of metal remnants, and 2 grandsons.
Started building karts with no real knowledge of the right way, just winging it. Then, l found l was having more fun building than the kid did driving! The red one was all scrap metal and used parts..
total cosr to build about $200. Built it in about 10 days. The other one took a little longer. It just went on its first test drive 2 days ago.FEFFE4DB-8636-4EE5-8096-B33C5CFF57E7.jpeg2600B028-26A8-404E-92F3-3E79A6708F48.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yea, from what I see there’s no junk there. Most of us are old farts who enjoy building stuff. We also have some young kids who actually want to learn some skills. So Welcome to the madness, the nurse will be by with your coloring book and crayons later. Stick around and help the youngsters.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Welcome! Couple of questions: 1) is that a flexible steering shaft on the red kart? 2) what sort of insanity is that second kart? Wow!

Master Hack

Reaction score
Thanks! No flexible steering shaft. I scored a bunch of 1 X .120 DOM tubing (about 500ft) for scrap price, so everything is made from that. The second one was a temporary lack of sanity, coupled with the need to build something crazy. That temporary lack of sanity has become more permanent. Plans are being laid to build #2 all over again and source a 750cc motorcycle engine to power it.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
What you call a temporary lack of sanity is pretty much the norm here!! Looks like one heck of a kart/buggy. Actually both do!!
You should start a thread in the karts section detailing the builds with lots of detail pictures of both!

Master Hack

Reaction score
I didn't take pics during construction. I didn't think anyone would care! Just a few. During the darkest days of my insanity I thought it would be fun to see if I could squeak a bit more out of a Honda GX390. So I added a 30mm carburetor and a Mopar HEI ignition. The last pic Is part of kart #3, a total experimental electric yard kart. 24:1 gear reduction. As you can see the S**t rattling around in my head is pretty far out there!

Attachments

• IMG_2544.jpeg
    IMG_2544.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2549.jpeg
    IMG_2549.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2597.jpeg
    IMG_2597.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Ok, I’m impressed! I would like to know more about the Chrysler ignition how you adapted it. I have heard that the Mopar pickup and reluctor are the best. And the GM 4 pin module is even better, together they are an unbeatable combination for an ignition system for a car. But never heard of using one on an industrial engine.
Inside your mind must be a really fun place.

Master Hack

Reaction score
"Inside your mind must be a really fun place."
There is some weird stuff happening in there! most of this crazy stuff I try just to see if I can make it work. The Mopar ignition was done mainly to add some centrifugal advance to the ignition, for better performance at high RPM. I would be happy to share that bit of crazy with you, but I feel maybe we should move to another more appropriate section? this is getting rather long....

panchothedog

Reaction score
MY GOODNESS, if that is what you call junk what does your good work look like? Leer Jet, Indy Car, Formula One. Very impressive, and WELCOME to the forum. I have 5 grandkids ( 2 boys and 3 girls ) I like to refurbish old karts and then build the engines to run as hard as I can afford to build them. Never fast enough. It has turned into a very enjoyable and satisfying hobby for me in my retirement. Keeps me very popular with them and it's just a whole lot of fun, weather I'm driving or just watching all of them rip around.