Restoration of my childhood Kart

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You can trim it. If you have a wood router and some bits and a can of WD40 you can use that as a mill. Just keep the bit wet with WD40.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The 4 threaded bosses on the backplate are for the plastic cover shroud, no reworking that if you grind them off. The angled side reinforcements for the jackshaft however, can handle some pretty deep cutaways to get clearance.
The flat backplate itself can also have sections of it cut out, it's a lot bigger than necessary. Besides a place to bolt the shroud on, it's only physical function is to support the jackshaft in relation to the 4 bolts you mount it to the engine with. The engine shaft itself provides all the support for the driver/clutch.

SpiritOf76@2

Reaction score
Hello,
I am back. Progress has been moving along slowly, but making progress.
I have the frame stripped and painted.
I have taken a lot of your advise and have started ordering parts.

I also fabricated a device to allow adjustable pedal positions (allows for a shorter child). I will post some pictures of that soon.

I was able to remove the graphics mostly intact. I am trying to find a local sign shop to make up new vinyl decals to replicate.

View attachment 129758
Just wanted to chime in as a fellow dad that’s currently redoing a kart for my son. You did a heck of a job on the frame prep and paint. Build is looking nice.

dsiek

Reaction score
Quick question, there is a Simpson pressure washer on clearance at my local tractor supply. Looks like it was a special order return. It has a Honda GC190 horizontal shaft on it. Retail is $450, but it’s missing the hose and spray gun. They are asking $200 and it’s been there for 3 weeks. Would the GC190 be a better motor than the predator 212? I was thinking about offering them $150. Looks like the GC190 retails for over $300 normally.

Last edited:

FlyFrog

Reaction score
pick it up either way, if you end up not liking it sell it for more than what you paid
Quick question, there is a Simmons pressure washer on clearance at my local tractor supply. Looks like it was a special order return. It has a Honda GC190 horizontal shaft on it. Retail is $450, but it’s missing the hose and spray gun. They are asking $200 and it’s been there for 3 weeks. Would the GC190 be a better motor than the predator 212? I was thinking about offering them $150. Looks like the GC190 retails for over $300 normally.