Remove rounded nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyDamage

Reaction score
On the family lawn tractor there are some terribly rounded/striped nuts. Wondering what the easiest way to remove these are. One is a carb bowl nut that's basically no wall on it. Just completely round.

Any ideas are welcome. Desperate to get that carb nut bolt off to clean that carb. Hasn't been cleaned in years.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Vice grip...
Or the same above.

Cut a half moon chunk out of the bolt with a dremel.. Use a vice grip..

DirtyDamage

Reaction score
Be my guest and try to find me one...can't find anything on eBay or anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[

DirtyDamage

Reaction score
EDIT:::: Dropping in a V-Twin next weekend. Bumping it up to 16hp before I pulley swap. I could not worry about it now and wait till later but I'd rather take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
I've always found pipe wrenches work best for rounded nuts if you have the space to use one.

If some force can be applied I find a socket just smaller then what's left of the nut and tap it in with a hammer.

On small bolts I do as above, cut a slot, use a screw driver.

If it's a real pain in the but I find another bolt, weld it to it, then put a socket on that and slowly ratchet the whole thing off.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
If it wasn't for a carb bowl (gas, no no when welding lol) I would say to get a bolt the same sise, a couple nuts, put all the nuts on the bolt, then weld it to the rounded one.

The extra nuts would make a more stable base to weld to the top of the rounded nut, and the bolt gives you the head to ratchet on.

DirtyDamage

Reaction score
Good idea. If only there wasn't gas. Lol. Just need to go to a lawn mower repair place and see if I can get this carburetor bowl retainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is to pull the carb, see if you have a part number anywhere, if your lucky you will, and that should give you the ability to look up replacement parts for that particular carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.