Relocating pedals out from frame to accomodate Adult rider on Go Cart

MadMaxCart12

Reaction score
I have a Manco one wheel peel yard cart, I'm 5'9 and both pedals are entirely too close for me. I've since ordered new pedal set and intend on moving pedal's pivot point out forward of the steering linkage, with a short guard to prevent pantsleg, etc from catching. The new pedal set eliminates the rods and converts to cable, which is a welcome plus. I intend to keep band brake, and try to use new cable instead of rod, would it work as well if I used a spring in between the hoop of the band brake w/ a cable stop to keep cable returning band to open position when I let off the brake, or just hook up cable and see what I'll need to make it work? So far as the throttle, I'd like to keep the rod if possible, I used a asuza cable clevis to a minibike throttle cable to a slide carb, using cable w/ barrel type end, not plain straight, won't need a return spring, the carb spring works fine to return pedal to original location. Is there anything besides cables/pedals and linkages working AFTER I move pedals out about a foot forward from OEM position? Thoughts/Suggestions?

redflash

Reaction score
you could do what most of us do, and just extend the entire length to the appropriate length. I have done this a few times.....pick the main frame rails that you can cut.....insert the perfect size thick wall pipe.......underlap it about 6 + INCHES on each end and re weld the pipe jojnts
voila....the kart fits you.

Da redflash

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
try to use new cable instead of rod
Using cable is pretty much wrong if you use the wrong "dedicated" throttle or brake cables. MFG has great cable and conduits that are worth whatever they cost (very little), use them myself. Problem with suppliers' cable/conduit sets are that you can't have even a mildly sharp bend without the danger of hanging up, nothing you want at full throttle.
I have used the aircraft grade cables/conduit combos for smooth as glass force/recoil action, and I also use cable lube. I would use only the 7/7 cable, that's 7 strands of 7 wires each, with the matching conduit for the length you want to start with before you trim to fit.
1/16" Dia Cable & Conduit for Go Karts & Mini Bikes | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply
AZ2314-92 - Wescon Conduit 7/32 D x 92" L | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply
Chain & Cable Lube – Liquid Wrench

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
My take is... that 5'9" is not too large for a standard go kart.

You're not supposed to be super comfortable on a kart. The proper riding/driving stance is knees bent and up in your face and legs spread with the steering wheel rubbing on your inner thighs.

Here's our hero, the King of Cool Steve McQueen on his go kart (and showing the proper seating orientation):
C0EEF3FA-0205-4763-8D60-1ED69A98D813.jpeg

That being said, the Manco pedals can be installed incorrectly. They are (ideally and properly) installed so that they flat foot area portion is pointed inwards on each pedal and from the side, the pedal should appear to be arching towards the front of the kart.

Here is a kart that has them installed poorly (and backwards and on the wrong sides). This kid is no doubt applying the brake and the gas (and looking uncomfortable) simultaneously.

7B689C0C-97C8-4D9F-A770-D56E6DD7B7A2.jpeg

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
And here's Kurt Cobain (who an hero'ed himself) driving a stock Manco American Express with the foot pedals situated at the extreme front of the kart, ahead of the front axle, the way Manco intended...

Still, not a whole lot of room to stretch out but that would mean making a longer kart that would not be as light and agile.

People mistakenly believe karts were intended for kids and that's why they are so small, short and cramped but nothing could be further from the truth.

550D55CA-2699-4C54-A809-3D274ABF5F92.jpeg

0110559B-DDD0-4993-B458-FB79012C68F3_1_201_a.jpeg