Relocating On/Off Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
I recentlty cut out 'roll bar' from my kart so i could move my seat back and get some more leg room. Well, it wasnt much of a roll bar becuase it sits about 10 inches shorter than your head :worried2:

I got that done, And it was all good.

But now that my seat is right up close the motor, it is very awkward to reach the switch, and in an emerceny this could be Very dangerous.

What needs to be done in order to move the switch?
and how do these swichts work :huh:
There only one wire goin to the switch, which confused me greatly... :confused: lol

Thanks guys, Any help will be much appreciated.

redcali

Reaction score
the wire i assume only as one wire into the switch and one wire out correct?

if so, the switch is just a break in the line of power or whatever.

all you need to do its remove the switch, join the wire up (making the circuit constant power)

then cut the same wire where you want the switch to be located and put the switch in. (adding the break to the circuit again)

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Reaction score
I have mine on the steering support tube (the one that holds the shaft in place). It's just a small reach from the wheel and you could find it blindfolded (which is good b/c in an emergency situation you will have ALL concentration on what's in front of you and trying to avoid it, many guys here will agree).

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
All you need to do is take that one wire and add a second one attached to the engine casing and attach each one to one of the contacts on a normally open switch. When you push the switch to make contact with the two terminals, the engine will shut off. Just so you understand how it works, turn on the engine and take that one wire and touch it to the engine case, the engine should shut off.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score

risto

...watches you sleep.
Reaction score
Got mine here (3/4" and 7/8" frames):
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/31-7728.html
Also (1" frames):
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/31-8944.html
Simply bolt on to steering hoop. One wire connection from shorting tab on CDI. For safety I have a kill switch mounted on engine as well as steering hoop.
Both switches must be on in order for engine to run. If either or both switches are off, engine will not run.

I did the exact same.

I was like you, having no clue how only one wire worked the kill switch, but i'm assuming it has two wires inside that one wire for the break. I disconnected my low-oil shutoff sensor and plugged my kill switch wire into that and it works perfectly. Just make sure you plug it into the wire that goes into the ignition source and not into the oil sensor.

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
Thanks for all you help fellas. hey russ, thats switch is pretty good :thumbsup:
I understand the most simple concept of an on/off, open/closed circut... but there is only one damed wire that goes into that switch :huh:
switch a.JPG switch b.JPG
does it just earth the current on the engine cover and stop the spark..? that what i was thinking..

Marks Kart

Reaction score
The switch when mounted on the side cover is grounded. The single wire that leads to the motor is connected to the ignition, when the switch is in the on position the motor runs and the circuit is open. The off position the ignition single is sent to motor ground and the motor is turned off. You can run a single wire to the new switch location, but the motor must be mounted directly to the frame with no insulators (vibration dampeners) and the switch must be grounded to the frame. Connect the one terminal on the switch to the kart frame and the other to the single wire coming from the motor. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.