NAPA has starter welding kits by Thermal Arc. Fabricator 181i, is a three in one model - Mig, Stick, & Tig (however Tig torch is sold separately). Kits include auto-darkening helmet, gloves, mig pliers, wire spoils & tips, etc... Fab 181i is not a top of line machine, but they are a cheap way to get started and learn the three methods of welding.
NAPA also has Lincoln brands, but you'll pay more for them. Their Marquette by Lincoln model has a 4th quarter promo that includes free gloves, jacket and helmet. See their "Real Deals" publication.
My personal welder is a Clarke 100E. It's been a great welder for me. Bought it used in 1999 from a mechanic friend that was retiring. The only slight issue I've had is it doesn't seem to like being off the bottle (using flux wire). Clarke Manufacturing went out of business sometime in the 2000's, so I can't find parts for it at local welding shops. However, a welding supply company out of Chicago has everything for it, just have to order online.
If you are purchasing a used welder, I would suggest a Miller or Clarke. Lincoln, Hobart, and ESAB have good reviews also but I haven't personally used any of them.