Recommend controller amp help

Bgt2u

Reaction score
Originally: Nantucket, Ma (currently living in Sil
I have a Motenergy ME1202 motor, and will be purchasing either a Kelly, or Sevcon controller for it. The vehicle that it will be powering is 6 wheel drive, has skid steering, with the motor connected to a chain driven LSD, that drives 3 wheels per side. It is very small (50"×28"), and weighs about 300lbs (or less) with me in it. The controllers range from 350A - 700A. I am not sure what amperage to go with. I have included the specs for this motor (in case no one is familiar with it). I obviously don't want to either underpower, or overpower the motor. Can someone please give me their opinion on what amperage would be the best for my application? Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• Studio_20200607_114831.jpg
    Studio_20200607_114831.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PicsArt_05-14-12.35.29.jpg
    PicsArt_05-14-12.35.29.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 3

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
What is your battery setup? More amps as an option is great as long as your batteries can handle it and they give enough ride time to make it worthwhile buying more controller instead of more battery, if budget is a concern. Otherwise, 600-700A is great.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
As long as you limit the current in the controller software, you should be fine.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
IIRC
Sid always recommends to use a controller with a continuous Amp rating, that meets or exceeds the motors max Amp rating :thumbsup:

This way the motor can never "overexert" or "draw too much" from the controller :cheers2:

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
It is enough for 300-350A going from your batteries, into the controller, and into the motor. If you are planning on getting enough batteries for 600-700A to hit peak current on your motor then it is not enough for that. The motor won't be overpowered by a controller that can handle higher amperage.

Bgt2u

Reaction score
Originally: Nantucket, Ma (currently living in Sil
Thanks guys, l totally uderstand now. I was more concerned with getting a controller that was not enough for the motor. I now realize that even a 300A controller will power this motor nicely, and l only would require a more powerful controller,.....lF, l had a higher battery amperage. So, unless l up my battery amps past 300a (which is unlikely), the ME1202 motor will do fine with only a 300a controller. PLEASE feel free to correct me, if l still don't have it right...lol.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Correct. The motor can take in 180A continuously without burning up under normal conditions. It can use more power than that in shorter bursts, but will heat up. You'd typically see use higher than the continuous rating for things like accelerating from a stop, fighting wind resistance at high speed, tough inclines, or difficult terrain like driving through sand or mud. You don't have to build to hit peak motor amps to have a successful project and your batteries will last longer to boot.