Rebuild Gas Air Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorqueRanger

Reaction score

I just picked this up the other day for really cheap... My problems is that the motor pulley is gone and I am trying to figure out whats size to use without burning up the pump???I have spec since the company the sells the product has no info and the model and serial number plate is gone and can't seem to find another one like it ...

motor
OHH50 with 3/4" shaft

Pump
13" diameter flywheel
Min RPM 700 Max RPM 1450

anderkart

Reaction score
:iagree: with Russ.

Also make sure you measure the width at the top of the V-slot in your compressor pulley, then buy that same width engine pulley & belt.

You'll find that some drive-pulleys have an adjustable-width feature to change where the belt rides. They cost more than conventional solid/1-piece pulleys, but sometimes its a very handy feature so you could adjust the best RPM to spin compressors and stuff.

A good hardware store should stock a good selection of pulleys, but you'd probably end up with a higher quality belt if you bought it from an auto parts store...

anderkart

Reaction score
A 4" diamiter engine pulley would give your compressor around 1100rpm with the engine @3600rpm.

Or with a 5" engine pulley = 1375 compressor rpm.

Or a 3" pulley = 830rpm.

Last edited:

TorqueRanger

Reaction score
The compressor needs a new belt and pulley....I tried going to tractor supply to measure the pulley but it has cage protecting and they wouldn't let me take it apart lol...I was going to make a fake belt out string and use that in order to measure for the pulley... But I am trying to do it right the first time because any pulley or belt I order is very expensive and if it's wrong then I am screwed and wasted all that time...Oh would you use a aluminum pulley or cast iron pulley ??? ( The original pulley broke which is how I got it )... What will happen if the motor runs the compressor below the min of 700rpms ???What is the max rpm and idle rpm of that motor because I can't seem to find that info anywhere...
oh I wanted to tune up a couple thing and wanted to see if you think I missed anything???
New spark plugg
new air filter
New oil for pump and motor
Fab bracket for new filter and get rid of felt filter on the pump
new belt and pulley of course

Thanks ahead of time
JAy

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Idle RPM will probably be around 1400, governed max should be 3600. Turning the pump too slowly won't hurt anything, other than a reduced output. Too fast may hurt the pump, but is much more likely to result in the engine not having the power to spin the pump up to optimum RPM- also resulting in reduced output.

TorqueRanger

Reaction score
I dont have the motor with pulley anymorehttp://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=D55270&selectedType=16215, maybe you can get info from here. This is what i had

Idle RPM will probably be around 1400, governed max should be 3600. Turning the pump too slowly won't hurt anything, other than a reduced output. Too fast may hurt the pump, but is much more likely to result in the engine not having the power to spin the pump up to optimum RPM- also resulting in reduced output.
I just did some research and found info from link that ML-TOYS provided ....The pulley they use is Ak41 X 3/4" Single Groove Vbelt Sheave Pulley 3.95" Od With 3/4" Finished Bore which looks about right to me ......

anderkart

Reaction score
Yep, 4" sounds like a good pulley for it. Your compressor will be spinning right at its sweet spot of 1100 rpm. If you spun it at its max rpm It'd build pressure faster and work better for jobs like sandblasting, but it'd also wear out sooner too...

TorqueRanger

Reaction score
Here is what I picked up so far..
Well the original filter was just a piece of foam shoved in a square hole with a metal mess covering it...

My plan was to use this style of filter and make a plate to convert it from a square to a round hole but not sure it was better than the plan foam filter..

GATES AX-52 belt

New AK41x3/4 Sheave 3/4" Bore AK041x3/4 Single Groove VBelt Pulley
3.95" Outside Diameter
3/4" Bore with setscrew and keyway
Will accept 3L, 4L and A section belts
Durable Cast Iron Construction
Balanced for smooth operation

Oh I got this to for $9 bucks and was not sure how good it was ..

Ingersoll Rand P39124-600-VS 1/4-Inch Filter-Regulator Piggyback, Black/Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.