Rear Sprockets 6 bolt 5 1/4 circle

MTScott

Reaction score
I bought an axle hub for my project to run 6 bolt 5.25" circle pattern sprockets... which seemed to be common pattern in the karting world. For various reasons, I'm going to end up running #50/530 pitch chain, which is likely overkill, but it's what i'm going with. I can change if I really need to, but that's the current plan.

What I'm wondering, is if there are 6 bolt motorcycle sprockets that are the same pattern (5.25). They are often sold generically as a "6 bolt sprocket", or they'll list 20 or so bikes that they fit on, not simply "here is the pattern".

Are 6 bolt sprockets all the same? Are they a different spread size that is metric? I've found sprockets on kart sites that'll work for me deliberately sold as 5.25" circle sprockets, but they're all aluminum, and I'd rather just run steel.... I'd also like to have more options.

For example, this guy here:

panchothedog

Reaction score
Running a #50 chain is definitely overkill unless you plan to run some very serious horsepower, but more than that is you will limit your ability of sprockets at least in the go kart world as the #50 is not at all common.

MTScott

Reaction score
I'd be happy with running 420 chain on a #41 sprocket in steel... but I actually didn't find a lot of options in steel... all I could find in 5.25" 6 bolt circle was either a 40T, or a 54T. If I run aluminum, I found all kinds of options, but I also found that to be true for #50/530 sprockets. I figured the wider the chain the better if my rear sprocket was aluminum to limit how fast it wears. That was the thought process anyway, but maybe it doesn't make sense.

The kart is a version of the grand daddy, stretched 6 inches, will at times carry 400 lbs of adults, and we're also going to be adding a cage/storage space that extends back over the engine. 420cc predator, that will likely be upgraded to 20-25HP... eventually.

panchothedog

Reaction score
What are you running for a drive system, centrifugal clutch or torque converter?
I see people get very involved with the axle sprocket and sort of forget about the drive sprocket which has at least as much influence on the final drive ratio.
I can understand why you want to stay with steel. A lot of weight weight and a fair amount of H P. I own 5 karts that I supply for my grandkids. One of them has a 301 and the rest are 212 or 196 clone engines. They are all two seater with roll cages and 18 to 20 inch rear tires, so none of them would qualify as light weight and a couple of them are modified quite a bit, 15+ HP. I've never really paid much attention to what the sprockets are made of prior to having this conversation with you. Now that I checked 3 are steel and 2 are aluminum. Honestly can't tell a lot of difference in wear patterns. Ours only get used 3-5 times a year as I must trailer them out to the desert. You may be in a position where yours would see much more use.

MTScott

Reaction score
This is mainly for my 10yo son & 7yo old daughter (eventually). We live very rural, and he can jump on it and run around the sticks right from our house, so I'm hoping it'll get used every day, but we'll see. I built it big enough hoping it'll last him well into his teen years. 20" wheels currently, and may go up to 22" wheels next set.

I'm running a torque converter setup, The driven pulley will be on a jackshaft which will have a sprocket/chain going to one of those small reverse kart transmissions which has a 1:1.3 ratio itself. This will be the weak link, and I'm guessing the transmission will fail long before any of the other drive parts do, but for $120 to have reverse, I figured I'd give it a shot. If it fails I can take it apart and see if there is something my local machinist and I can do to make them stronger. If not I'll do without reverse, or maybe steal something out of an ATV. At 14hp, it might be okay, but when we get it up to 25HP, I'm sure it won't last.

I actually ended up ordering a 420 chain and rear sprocket which I found in steel. I already have 530 stuff on the way (which cost a bunch more), but the rear sprocket might not show up for a month or two. I should have just gone with 420 chain from the get-go. I went with the 40T, which might be kinda tall, but we'll see. The engine will still be limited by the governor initially until my kid learns how to control this thing, so it may work out.

Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
If they like it ( I can't imagine a 10 year old boy not liking a Go Kart ) and spend some time behind the wheel it might surprise you just how quick they good at controlling it and even pushing it a little. Another added bonus, in a few more years when it comes time for a driver's licenses it will be MUCH easier as the basics will already be mastered.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You can get an aluminum split sprocket with the standard 5.25" bolt circle all the way up to 72-tooth (your choice from 40 to 72) for that #420 chain at BMI, see link below. It says for #41 chain, but of course that chain can be used on #420 as well, see the other link below.
Azusa #41 Chain Sprocket (Split) | AZT5314S-** | AZT5314S-** | BMI Karts And Parts
Chain for Go Kart, Mini Bike | GoKarts USA®
The #40 sprockets are questionable as to whether or not they can handle #41 or #420 chains, see the chart above. The #40 chains are 1/16" wider than for #41 or #420, so the #40 chain can be used on any of the 3 sizes, but I would say the #40 sprockets should only be used with #40 chain. Some parts are sold as fitting any of the 3 sizes, some here will say it's all fine, but I'd worry about #40 sprockets, would have to check on that very carefully.

Last edited:

AmishMike

Reaction score
Not sure if you bought sprockets yet but steel 48-60 tooth 41/420 chain -