Rear sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi all, again i am trying another project on my kids carter buggy, I ended up haven't to take the 150cc motor out, I had a spare 13hp honda motor so I tried to use the the belt drive but I spent a ton on it and I couldn't get the belt to release I was so upset with it, I went out to northern and bought a centrifugal clutch rated to a 13hp, 14t sprocket on it, I bought the biggest #41 chain sprocket which was a 60t, i had to mod it as it was not the same bolt pattern as their hubs, so the cart moved but it was burning the clutch, so I was looking for a 84t that uses a #41 chain, im am so lost.. any help

Thank you
 

DCProductions

Cockney Ragamuffin
Messages
496
Reaction score
0
Location
Louisiana, USA
If you want to keep the cent clutch, you'll probably need to install a jackshaft. This would allow you to keep the 60T you already bought but not burn the clutch. I don't know what sprockets you'd want to put on the jackshaft, but if you want the 14/84 ratio then you would need something like an 18T to 12T setup.
 

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
thats just it, i don't know what ratio i am after, what I was told my motor was a 8.5 to 1 ratio, i was under the impression that 14/84 was around the correct setup. so on the jackshaft i would use 18t and 12t setup ,cool.. i will see what I can come up with, thanks
 

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Motor ratio?
well i was told that with my old setup that the ratio was 8.5 to 1 so I misspoke on the "motor" part, the setup was at that ratio. What i have right now it a 14t clutch with a 54t rear sprocket that will burn the clutch, I want to try to use what I have an add the jackshaft but don't knowwhat that ratio is, I see DC went off my 84t rear ratio, but i need the 54t rear ratio.. soz

thanks
 

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
so how can i figure out what sprocket size i would need to use between the 14t clutch and the 54t sprocket on the axle without burning up the clutch

thanks
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
How big are your tyres?
In order to find your gear ratio you do this:
(Jackshaft in/ motor)x(axle/ jackshaft out)
E.g lets say you have 18t on your jackshaft in, and 12t on your jackshaft out.
(18/14)x(54/12)
1.29x4.5
=5.8:1

However your current ratio is 54/14 which is 3.86:1
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
5.8:1 would give you 33mph @3600rpm (stock governed)
That should be ok. What terrain are you riding on?
I would reccomend a 3/4" j/s for that motor. I can only find a 16t 3/4" bore 41 sprocket not an 18 so you may be better off going with a 10t jackshaft out sprocket instead of a 12t. This gives you approx 6.15:1 or 31mph
Which should be good, and it will put a lot less strain on the clutch than your current setup.
Can we have some pics? Then I would be able to reccomend a jackshaft style.
 

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
i took ur advise and went to northern/tractor supply and got jack shaft 3/4 using the 1 that came with it with 14t and put a 24t on the other side. should be close, we have alot of hard sand trails here. I will post what i come up with,, 14-24 14-54
Thanks
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Cool, that gives you a ratio of 6.6:1, 29mph@3600rpm. Sounds good, you will get some nice torque.
Btw you were geared for 50mph before.
 

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
gotta bring up this post i did a few weeks ago, I wasn't able to get a 24t with a 41 chain, they sent me a 24t with 40 chain would pop the chain right off, so i had found a 28t and I changed my the rear jack shaft sprocket to 10t, so i have 14t-28t 10t-54t well i put it all together tonight and when he came up the driveway it wouldn't push the cart at all, the clutch smoked very bad. did i burn it up, did i through my ratio all too hell? I am lost :?

thank you again
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
With the setup you have now, you have a (28/14)*(54/10) = 10.8:1 ratio. Your previous setup was (24/14)*(54/14) = 6.59:1.

I would have said that the original ratio would have caused you more problems than the one you have now. A 10.8 ratio should not have smoked your tyres as much as the 6.59 ratio would have. I am a bit stumped. It could be that your tyres are a bit too large.

Maybe wait for some more comments...
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Your clutch is cooked. 10.8:1 should have delivered plenty of torque to the wheels. Make sure everything is spinning freely, and get a new clutch.
 

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
its a brand new from northern tools, heavy duty they say, see what northern says about it tomorrow

Thanks again

PRIDE
 

PRIDE

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
With the setup you have now, you have a (28/14)*(54/10) = 10.8:1 ratio. Your previous setup was (24/14)*(54/14) = 6.59:1.

I would have said that the original ratio would have caused you more problems than the one you have now. A 10.8 ratio should not have smoked your tyres as much as the 6.59 ratio would have. I am a bit stumped. It could be that your tyres are a bit too large.

Maybe wait for some more comments...

I was thinking the same, but if i go to smaller tires i will be sitting on the ground with this and i know my kids, i will be welding weekly

PRIDE
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
The only thing I can figure is that the previous ratio (6.59:1) was too steep under your circumstances, and fried the clutch. Once fried, it's fried- and that's why the 10.8:1 didn't work out well.

As far as "heavy duty" goes, it's only a label. Ever bought "heavy duty (carbon-zinc, not alkaline) batteries? Yeah. I get a laugh out of Hilliard's "Extreme Duty". Might be good, might not. But lots of people see "Extreme Duty" and figure it to mean they can feed it 20hp, pushing a 500lb beast at 3:1, and it'll be fine. Everything has it's limits.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top