Rear Axle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Caleb
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Colville, WA
I have a framed out chassis from an old craftsman riding lawnmower. I would like to use the wheels and frame to build up a decent little off-road cart.

The question I had is the axle. The wheel hubs are 3/4in keyed and 3.5in wide. If I use an axle that is 3/4in keyed all the way across will this sustain general wear and tear? Or is there any other options out there that would work better? I am thinking it will be a minimum of 40in wide on the axle.

Has anyone used a 3/4in axle and how has it fared? How about riding lawnmower wheels. Do they hold up well?

Weight is probably a good 50-60lbs on the frame. A motor to yet be determined and generally smaller child weight. I plan to use it as well at 175lbs.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
87
Location
Houston Texas
I beat the living crap out of my 3/4" axle. It's full length key and is 38" long. I've bent one side several times, but you won't be power sliding like me, so don't worry about it. It's stout enough, and it's a common axle size on karts...... :thumbsup:
The side I bent was bent back into position, then bent again at a later date. I'm running a modded Honda 5.5 (around 9-10hp) on a single seater. If you can get the 1" with 3/4" step down ends, that would be better...... I guess......
 

Eli

Caleb
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Colville, WA
I was looking at the 1in step down to 3/4in. But the 2in step down width will not fit the wheel hubs unmodified. I am considering trying to reduce the wheel hub width by cutting/grinding it down to get it under the 2in (plus a smidgen to lock it on).

Since those use a thread and nut will they lock on a wheel well enough to distribute the power to the wheel without slipping. I assume that the threaded part is not keyed.

Thanks for your reply.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
87
Location
Houston Texas
Ewwww.... Let me see.... I'll get back to you shortly, on what I find.... Unless someone beats me.....
Is it possible to open one side of your wheel to 1" ,giving you room on the axle? I think that's how those are supposed to be used, with stepped wheel hubs, but imma go look anyway....
Look at this....http://www.gokartsupply.com/axles.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top