Rear axel sheared off - how to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmandawg

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an older kart with a single drive wheel, my daughter was riding it tonight and the axel sheared off, looks like it was a bad bearing maybe.

Sad thing is i just changed all the bearings except for that one because i was waiting for the tire to wear down.

So any ideas how to fix it? Just cut it off and weld a new one on? I only have a small Harbor Freight 90Amp welder, would it be strong enough to weld it on (all the torque is on that wheel)? Also where would I buy the 5/8" threaded bar?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170810_195815 (Large).jpg
    20170810_195815 (Large).jpg
    213 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170810_195828 (Large).jpg
    20170810_195828 (Large).jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170810_195806 (Large).jpg
    20170810_195806 (Large).jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 9

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
Use a grade 8 5/8 bolt weld it on head and all. Look real close, it seems to have bolt head welded to the square tubing. I would think your welder will work with proper prep to the axle and bolt.

mckutzy

Reaction score
You'll have to cut the head off of the broken one on the frame.
The new bolt head will need to have a bevel ground on all corners of the flat of the hex, this allows the best penetration.
Clean all paint off of the boss where the bolt is to be welded to. Tack and weld(need to brush good in-between tacking and welding, dont just go over it.....).

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
To weld that with your welder, you'll have to get everything heated up (till it's blue) with a torch, otherwise you will not get enough penetration.

anickode

Reaction score
Also, when welding a grade 8 bolt, no NOT get impatient and quench it to cool it down. Grade 8 bolts are a high alloy steel, and it will get very brittle if you quench them.

jmandawg

Reaction score
To weld that with your welder, you'll have to get everything heated up (till it's blue) with a torch, otherwise you will not get enough penetration.

That's what I was afraid of. Do you think the 170amp HF welder would be strong enough? I may get that and sell the 90amp. Or do you think i can get it hot enough with my propane torch before welding?

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I've welded 1" axle stock to a 1/4" collar using my 90A, got full penetration. Propane torch, blued the whole component first.

Status
Not open for further replies.