Rear atv live axle on tight frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman

Reaction score
Somewhere between Jacksonville NC and Wilmington N
Hello, All

I am building a off-road go-kart out of spare parts that I have, those being a Husqvarna lawnmower frame, two 90cc yerfdog ATVs, a 80cc Suzuki atv, and 5hp Honda gx 140. I have the front of the yerfdog nearly ready to be welded to the frame, the steering conceptualized, and the seat set in the area it's going to stay.

More or less, the main thing i have left to figure out is how I want to mount the rear axle from the yerfdog and where the motor will be in relation to it. My original plan was to cut the back half of the atv frame off and just weld it in place, that plan could still work but it's is just too long. Ideally I would like to have the axle in place roughly where the original mower parts but with suspension and the frame knoched to sit lower. Unfortunately everything I can think of has the chain in the way or swings towards the motor which would, of course, throw the chain off.

I know someone will say to just mount the engine to the trailing arm to avoid this problem, but with my build this will not work. The engine as it is is too wide to fit in the space between the frame sides.

Any ideas on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

Attachments

• IMG_20181114_104723.jpg
    IMG_20181114_104723.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20181118_114138.jpg
    IMG_20181118_114138.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 9

Kartorbust

Reaction score
So the idea is to get the sprocket on the engine to be in the same line as the pivot of the trailing arm or swing arm. That way as the rear end moves up and down, the chain remains the same without loosening up. Pictures of this would be of great help for us to get you in the right direction. How opposed are you to having to modify the frame if it came down to that?

dman

Reaction score
With how the frame is I don't think I can modify without cutting and welding, which normally would be expected, but as I will have to borrow a welder, or pay for the services of one, I want as much as possible to be bolted especially for possible future upgrades.

The ATV had the pivot arm in-between the chain, but that could stress the chain if it moves as much as I would like it to. I'm now thinking I can rearrange the axle so the sproket is clear of the pivot arm, then I can make some heavy brackets to bolt under the motor on the frame. I have pictures of that idea mocked up as well as the frame standing up on my phone that I can post shortly

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

the frame it's self, standing on the rear

here is the mock-up from the front.
and the original idea mock-up,

dman

Reaction score
I also think I will have to recant my statement that I would not need help with the steering and other things. I'm trying to use the original yerfdog steering by welding the front to the ATV on the mower frame, will take pictures soon, I just can't figure how to change the angle of the shaft. Another problem I am struggling with is the gas and front brake pedals I can't afford to buy a pair and with the way my feet will be, my heels together, normal pedals wouldn't be ideal. Help with both of these would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.