Razor Ground Force Drifter 40mph conversion

b00stedz06

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. Looking to share details of my build which I think is pretty darn cool as this kart is super fun to drive. I weigh 180lb and although it is small the frame supports me with no issue and the disc brake works exceptionally well. I've put over 100 miles on this and it is solid. Battery will last about 15 miles between charges very dependent on how hard it is juiced! :)

Specs:
5" racing wheels (rear)
60V 3000W Brushless motor (stock one is 250W)
60V 30Ah Lithium battery pack
Running about 55-60Amp at 60V
Hydraulic Disc Brake stops on a dime
Top speed ~ 40mph

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
  • kart-nobattery.jpg
    kart-nobattery.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • kart-nobattery2.jpg
    kart-nobattery2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • kart-back2.jpg
    kart-back2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
  • kart-back.jpg
    kart-back.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
  • kart-battery.jpg
    kart-battery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • kart-front.jpg
    kart-front.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
  • brake2.jpg
    brake2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Those little karts are pretty fun. I used to drive my son's modified Razor "Dune Buggy" around but it only does 12mph with me on it. Do you need a wheelie bar or what? I know you say that brake is good, but you might want to consider using regenerative braking if your controller and battery can do it; it can be really strong and saves your physical brake along with scavenging a little power.

b00stedz06

Reaction score
Ha no wheelie bar mostly because the controller has some sort of built in delay when it start out, it doesn't give full current immediately. I suppose that is good and bad. Otherwise it would do wheelies as it is surely back heavy, which also makes the steering at low speed turns not so great. I have used the elec brake and it works awesome, but not using it at the moment because the voltage regulator I was using burnt up a few months back and I never replaced it. Not sure if it was cheap and defective or if there was some other strange cause. It was stepping the 60v down to 12v as that is what the controller required. In any case, the disc brake is truly awesome and stops on a dime.

b00stedz06

Reaction score
What is really great about this is the kart is super strong, but still very light weight. Wish I had a little more leg room but it works out just fine. Because it is so small and so low to the ground it makes it more fun, imo

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Ha no wheelie bar mostly because the controller has some sort of built in delay when it start out, it doesn't give full current immediately. I suppose that is good and bad. Otherwise it would do wheelies as it is surely back heavy, which also makes the steering at low speed turns not so great. I have used the elec brake and it works awesome, but not using it at the moment because the voltage regulator I was using burnt up a few months back and I never replaced it. Not sure if it was cheap and defective or if there was some other strange cause. It was stepping the 60v down to 12v as that is what the controller required. In any case, the disc brake is truly awesome and stops on a dime.

I know some non-programmable controllers may skip the soft start if you blip the throttle once before going full throttle, so you could try that. Also, in my controller experience, I have never needed an external regulator to provide 12v signal to activate functions like regenerative braking, throttle and forward/reverse. There should be a line out that provides 12v for that purpose and you can use the same 12v for all of any such functions. Just don't try to run any real load on it (I have only run LED brake lights with the brake switch).

ForceFed86

Reaction score
Believe we spoke on the razor minibike forums. You can bypass that delay I believe. You need to wire in the brake cut off wire to the factory brake sensor. It's like a 3-4 second ramp in. So you grab the brake which trips the wire, then go WOT on teh pedal and wait 3-4 seconds for the delay. Then when you release the brake with the pedal WOT it bypasses the ramp in. Good luck! Cart looks slick! If you know anyone else that needs/wants that same controller new in the box, let me know.

DonutHands

Reaction score
Any info on how you adapted different wheels? Got one of these and either gonna junk it or do something like this due to the current wheels being just about done.

b00stedz06

Reaction score
Any info on how you adapted different wheels? Got one of these and either gonna junk it or do something like this due to the current wheels being just about done.
I had to machine the axle on a lathe as well as create a thin shim (metal sleeve) to go between the axle and the wheel hub. As for the wheels and hub I used I can dig up the links to where I sourced those from if you want. The other thing you can do is use Razor dune buggy wheels with the dune buggy axle and mounts or do the machining and sleeves with the dune buggy wheels. I can tell you for sure the dune buggy wheels are solid enough to go 35mph (I put 100+ miles on the kart with them no issue) and they will make the kart go faster than these big slicks I have on there now which are just really heavy. Sometimes I just think I should go back to the dune buggy wheels.

DonutHands

Reaction score
Lost me at 'machine the axle'... bummer. Probably pickup a dune buggy when this one is done.

b00stedz06

Reaction score
I
Lost me at 'machine the axle'... bummer. Probably pickup a dune buggy when this one is done.
Wow what a coincidence, I literally JUST today finished a Dune buggy conversion as I got lucky and found a used Dune on OfferUp in great shape for $50.

This thing is BAD *** and SOOOO much fun because of the gearing, it has more room, and will absolutely blast through off-road terrain because of how low it is geared. With this setup it literally snaps your neck back when it launches

Also, the Dune is so much easier to upgrade because things JUST FIT naturally. Motor fits right into place (you still have to custom drill), there is ample room for battery and controller, etc

Specs:

- 48V 1500Watt 5200RPM Brushless Motor and Controller to match
- 48V 10Ah Lithium Battery (BtrPower on Amazon) $200
- Upgraded 48V throttle

I can't stress how easy this build was and it is not a speed demon by any means but the acceleration and ability to go off road is just awesome.

I just tested it for the first time tonight so I don't have speed numbers yet

IMG_2504.jpgIMG_2505.jpgIMG_2506.jpgIMG_2503.jpg

Zacharyjames

Reaction score
Im really curious about your hydraulic brakes. Im working on some mods right now, and the band brakes on the drifters suck. Cant seem to find any replacement disca from a dune buggy either.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Teach me something here..............they're selling what they call "knobby tires" on the link above, but those "knobbies" are basically skee-bald in the center, almost as bad as the ones in your last pics. Is that the normal OEM stuff for sure?........and are you trying to do some sort of restomod that requires you to use bald-center tires for faster street speed?...............while the so-called "knobbies" couldn't get you out of just 4" of sugar sand?

tekstyle

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. Looking to share details of my build which I think is pretty darn cool as this kart is super fun to drive. I weigh 180lb and although it is small the frame supports me with no issue and the disc brake works exceptionally well. I've put over 100 miles on this and it is solid. Battery will last about 15 miles between charges very dependent on how hard it is juiced! :)

Specs:
5" racing wheels (rear)
60V 3000W Brushless motor (stock one is 250W)
60V 30Ah Lithium battery pack
Running about 55-60Amp at 60V
Hydraulic Disc Brake stops on a dime
Top speed ~ 40mph
can you give me the links to the parts you used for the disc brake conversion? i am trying to find the hub, disc, calipers, hydraulic line, and handle lever like yours. thanks