Razor "boom" buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh.hymel

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
So my son was given a razor dune buggy with a set of bad batteries and a bad motor. After discovering the cost of replacing the motor/batteries I decided to modify the cart to run from a 79cc predator. Along with a new motor I was going to put 15inch meaty mud tires on the back and 10 inch tires on the front. Also had to adjust the steering which was way far forward to something a bit more natural.

I cleared the room needed and fabbed what was needed to mount the engine. I had to machine the 3/4 inch hubs to 22mm and make a 5mm key shaft for the rear. Turned new spindle sleeves for the front wheels. Because the kart is so small and I was trying to not cut and modify the frame I opted to stick with the #25 chain and stock jackshafts, so I had to weld a #25 sprocket to a 5/8 clutch.

All worked out well. Until my son got to ride it. Although I was able to get a 6.2:1 final drive ratio on the chain drives, the 15inch wheels meant for very little hill climbing torque. This is when I decided to build a 2 speed gearbox.

I made my go karts 2 speed gearbox using Lovejoy couplings and nesting sprocket hubs into the coupling. Essentially making a "dog" type of clutch system similar to how boats engage gear. The final gear ratio are 5.2:1 and 10.8:1.

Here's some pics
Kens kart https://imgur.com/gallery/HO927
 

Attachments

  • 20160615_113318.jpg
    20160615_113318.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170203_110137.jpg
    20170203_110137.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180126_105516.jpg
    20180126_105516.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 49

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
F-ing rights... You made my day aswell...
Please post a few more pics of the trans... Or some views of the parts, shifter and coupler/sprockets...

You've kinda opened a giant can of worms here... Defiantly got people interested...
Nice job...
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
If those are Harbor Freight wheels on the front, get rid of them now! Accident waiting to happen. And it will.
 

TT540

Newb
Messages
347
Reaction score
7
Location
Huntsville, AL
I almost started with that same platform but stopped because of the steering wheel awkwardness and the decent resell value of the original setup.

That gear change setup looks great. Would love to see a video.
 

Josh.hymel

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Sorry about the name confusion. My name is Josh. I am the father of a 5 year old (6 next month) named Ken.
I figure for the number of pics I was posting imgur would be best, if not please let me know a better way.

The front tires are intended to be replaced when the cart is actually operational.
I wish I knew how it drove with both gears. I have bench run it and it shifts smoothly. Unfortunately I have not finished due to weather and lots of overtime.

I did have an older nephew drive it while it was tied into 1st gear and it was quick, misbalanced and sketchy. haha

The steering needs some attention and when I rebuild the front it will add the weight I'm sure will balance it back out correctly.

Here is all the pics I have of the gearbox. I got carried away and forgot to take pics.

Kens gearbox parts
https://imgur.com/gallery/J1zqB
 

Josh.hymel

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Here are hosted pics
 

Attachments

  • 20170515_185149.jpg
    20170515_185149.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170203_110137.jpg
    20170203_110137.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170203_110116.jpg
    20170203_110116.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160615_113318.jpg
    20160615_113318.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20160607_182840.jpg
    20160607_182840.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170515_185155.jpg
    20170515_185155.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170113_124153.jpg
    20170113_124153.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170801_203351.jpg
    20170801_203351.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170803_214400.jpg
    20170803_214400.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170803_214443.jpg
    20170803_214443.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 15

Josh.hymel

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Here's more
 

Attachments

  • 20170803_214400.jpg
    20170803_214400.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170803_214443.jpg
    20170803_214443.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170806_113325.jpg
    20170806_113325.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20170806_113316.jpg
    20170806_113316.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170806_113401.jpg
    20170806_113401.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170809_181439.jpg
    20170809_181439.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170809_181517.jpg
    20170809_181517.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170806_113411.jpg
    20170806_113411.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170816_203143.jpg
    20170816_203143.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170809_181506.jpg
    20170809_181506.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 7

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
This is pretty frickin awesome...
Managed to look at all the pics at home on the comp... Very nice...
I see you even got idler bearings in the sprocket gears... I was wondering how you were going to avoid seizing...
 

Josh.hymel

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
And the gearbox.
I dont like how the pics aren't oriented correctly but any who... Here ya go
 

Attachments

  • 20180126_105505.jpg
    20180126_105505.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171212_091506.jpg
    20171212_091506.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20171215_202502.jpg
    20171215_202502.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20171212_091452.jpg
    20171212_091452.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20171212_091444.jpg
    20171212_091444.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180126_105518.jpg
    20180126_105518.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180126_105512.jpg
    20180126_105512.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180126_105522.jpg
    20180126_105522.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180126_105527.jpg
    20180126_105527.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180201_193456.jpg
    20180201_193456.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top