Random unknown kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato

newbie kart builder
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm building a kart, i have never tried before, and will probably screw a lot of things up, but here is what I have to begin with:
a 5hp Briggs and Stratton
a random unknown frame
a steering column out of a ford something
and some extra tubing to widen the frame.

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 19

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
That's certainly a very unique-looking frame. From where did you procure that? I think at some point you may find the need to structurally reinforce that. I think it might want to twist.

Either way, this will be very interesting, and unconventional. I like that.

Potato

newbie kart builder
Reaction score
I received this frame from my auto shop teacher, who had it sitting around and was going to throw it out, however I stepped in and saved the day by saying I would keep it, I understand that I have a LOT of work to do, and yes it is very unconventional, and its also kinda twisty just by hand, so I definitely need to reinforce it, luckily I got more tubing to go with it :D

also, how do I make a pull-start into an electric start?
need help with that...

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
Easiest way to do an electric start, is stick a drill on it with the right size socket for the flywheel, and pull the trigger.

... but I know that's not what you meant.

There are 120V, and battery powered start kits for those engines. There's a LOT more involved in doing one powered by a battery. More than just drilling and tapping some holes to mount a starter.

As far as a DIY way to do it, I suppose you could source the components individually on the cheap. If it already has a ring gear, it'll be easier, but if not you can still do it, you'll just need a conversion kit if your flywheel is able to accept the ring gear. If not, you'll need a flywheel too.

Check this out...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...yBBHQCQDWc7sOvdpQ&sig2=7s_WVKJlvLU5kIUEI4LmFg

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14973

Sooo.... use a cordless drill :)

Potato

newbie kart builder
Reaction score
ha ha I have seen what you do with your karts :p

will a ride-on lawnmower steering rack work for a kart?

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Reaction score
ha ha I have seen what you do with your karts :p

will a ride-on lawnmower steering rack work for a kart?

I'm guessing you're replying to me. Use the quote feature so we know if you could. It'll help out in your conversations.

Yes. Ultimately, anything "will" work if you put your mind to it.

I'd go with the lawnmower appendages before I'd use a car steering column.

Potato

newbie kart builder
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're replying to me. Use the quote feature so we know if you could. It'll help out in your conversations.

Yes. Ultimately, anything "will" work if you put your mind to it.

I'd go with the lawnmower appendages before I'd use a car steering column.

well, I figured that the car steering would work if I could make the lawnmower parts work, I just weld the lawnmower column to the ford column and, there you go :rolleyes: steering components complete

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
you are making this all harder than it needs to be. the average kart builder doesn't "add" electric start to a motor - they buy a motor that already has it. the average kart builder doesn't try to combine automotive steering components with tractor steering components. it just doesn't work without some serious modifications - which are done by people who have some experience and know what they're doing.

stick with the manual start motor. you can upgrade later. skip the rack n pinion steering for now, unless you want to purchase appropriate parts that are nice and simple. regular kart steering is pretty easy to do, and doesn't cost you squat. spindles with ackermann steering arms, c-brackets, tie rods, pitman arm, steering rod and wheel. easily made from scrap. done.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the beginnings of a bumper car frame.

to me it looks like someone wanted to build a
Messerschmitt Kabinenroller (really famous rev. trike in germany)

Messerschmitt_Kabinenroller_offen.jpg

See how it resembles not only the front, but also the door cut-out?

We'll never know what it was.. but I know what I would do ;)

I'd get a schmitty plastic body (Tri-Tech -an english company- reproduced those a couple of years ago) and make me a Messerschmitt :D

'sid

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Reaction score
As long as you don't say one of 2 things here, you'll be fine.

Those being:
1. There's more wood involved in the construction than metal.

or

2. It's rear wheel steering & front engine/wheel drive.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score

View attachment 43132

I'd get a schmitty plastic body (Tri-Tech -an english company- reproduced those a couple of years ago) and make me a Messerschmitt :D

'sid

That's a really unique ride, but I'd hate to crash in one. Then you'd really be in a messerschmitt! :roflol:

Potato

newbie kart builder
Reaction score

View attachment 43132

'sid

well 'sid, my auto-shop teacher is quite the euro-car collector, so he might have been trying to make a replica... i don't know...

and as for Mr.Wood, there will be no wood in the construction, and it will be a rear engine, front wheel steering kart.

and I am not your average kart builder Mystery, I am a high school student, without a job and want to make a cool kart, I believe I may have some experience with cars because I am currently enrolled in an ACE-IT program, which gives you your first year automotive classes for college. yes i realize i am making this harder than it needs to be, but without some hard work, and many mistakes, have you really completed anything?

:auto:

mckutzy

Reaction score
OP- Building something and fixing something are 2 really different animals.
With this project people are say it could work but very difficult to do successfully. The typical ways that are done described by the people that know it here, are the best situation for what you are describing.

Before getting into a pissing match by say what have you done. Read a few of the others posts and threads. You will see what we have been talking about.
....and the saying could go the same way..... what are some of the other projects you've done....pics

We have often get this kinda (pardon the saying) attitude from a bunch of younger guys that think there way is the best and will work out and they are committed to it. Good ideals. It is just most tend to not want to see the finer points of the posts.
We actually want you to succeed. please understand this.....

Potato

newbie kart builder
Reaction score
OP- Building something and fixing something are 2 really different animals.
With this project people are say it could work but very difficult to do successfully. The typical ways that are done described by the people that know it here, are the best situation for what you are describing.

Before getting into a pissing match by say what have you done. Read a few of the others posts and threads. You will see what we have been talking about.

....and the saying could go the same way..... what are some of the other projects you've done....pics

hey mckutzy I have never built anything before, so... i think it goes without saying that I will make mistakes...

I think I'm also going to fab a new rear end, because the one I have currently doesn't really accommodate an engine very well..., and I kinda want to make the kart longer

Status
Not open for further replies.